What's new

Bipoles on rear wall -or- direct firing on side wall? (1 Viewer)

MikeC_FL

Auditioning
Please take a look at the following layout diagram:

mysite.verizon.net/res8gfg5/layout_a_or_b.jpg

(I'm still a newbie around here so I can't post images or URLs yet).

What would be better in this situation:

A -> direct firing facing the couch?

or

B -> Bi-poles on the back wall?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bi/Dipoles are not "direct" firing, and are not intended to be positioned directly pointed at the listener, so A will probably not work. B would be OK, and if you are mounting with brackets, you could put them at an angle in each corner, reflecting off each side wall.

If you can, I'd pull the couch away from the wall. Against the wall is about the worst place you can sit in terms of sound.

MikeC_FL

Auditioning
I guess I was not clear in my question. The "A" speakers would not be bi-poles, rather they would be direct-firing (bookshelf type) speakers pointing at each other "over" the couch. The "B" speakers would be the bi-polar speakers (currently considering Polk FXi3). Given that information, which do you think work better?

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Mike-

I was recently in your shoes... to my knowledge most manufactures recommend scenario "B" if your listening position is *close* to the backwall (as in your diagram...the couch is right up against it). However, I had a situation where there was a good 15' or so between the listening position and rear wall and opted for scenario "A" with the speakers placed midway on the side walls. To me the sound is much more diffuse and I really like it much more than direct radiating speakers.

Attempt both scenarios if possible and see what you like...you may have to place them on stepladders or something similar, but well worth the effort.

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
I pretty much have a similiar set up. My couch is right up against the wall, with the side walls pretty close to the couch. I've tried direct monopoles on the side. It didn't do it for me.

I purchased a pair of Polk fx30's and tried them as bipoles on the back wall, mounted about 2 feet above the listening position. It sounded really good. Created a very nice surround effect.

However, I've recently moved them to the side walls, up about another foot because of the door that opens, and switched them to dipole mode. Right now, I'm loving the way it sounds. The speakers just disappear into the room and I can't isolate them. Where as before, I was quite aware that the speaker was right behind me.

I had some concerns about discreet effects, but the sound of the train rumbling through my home theater room in Hidalgo put that to rest.

In short, it sounds fantastic with ambient sounds and direct, positional sounds. It might not be ideal, I'll concede that, but it's much better than I ever thought it would be given my room.

MikeC_FL

Auditioning
How high up did you put them? ...and were they directly parallel to the seating area or slightly behind? The reason I ask is that if you refer to my diagram (see first message for the link) on the left side I only have a little "pillar" which leads into an archway. I could probably hang the speakers up on the archway to be more in line with the seating area, but they would be very close to the ceiling...

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I think it depends on how much of a 'sweet spot' you want. I'd say if 90% of the time you will be sitting on the couch, I'd be tempted to get the direct firing speakers. I've got mine that way, I have some restrictions, like your setup, but no wall behind me, and my speakers can basically only be straight off to the sides of the listening position. Part of it depends on the movie as well I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks