What's new

Bipole surrounds are a must in a HT. (1 Viewer)

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Using two sets of speakers would definitely be the best of both worlds, YiFeng ;).

In my setup, I could likely get away with it. However, folks with smaller configurations or those that have to consider the WAF might not have this option. Cost is also a consideration as well, but if you can swing it, that'd definitely cover all bases... -TD

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some manufacturers also offer speakers that are switchable between bi/di/tripole and mono depending on the situation. I am not discounting bi/di surrounds, merely saying that they are not my personal preference. I have heard one setup at a local guy's home using M&K tripoles, properly positioned and I thought they sounded great with music. They have some of the immediacy of a monopole and also enough diffuse effect to give you a very enveloping sound at the same time. My room layout doesn't really lend itself to bi/di surrounds either.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
I previously had a pair of Cambridge Soundworks S300s in my main HT setup, now using them in a secondary config. These have a switch on the bottom to allow you to switch between 'direct', 'bipole' and 'dipole' settings which worked very well. Here's a pict of the speaker itself:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
john g,

re: fact. it should be fact according to the person presenting it. everyone should have enough conviction to state what he thinks is fact =) just as 1+1=2, otherwise, opinions wouldn't be worth any damn =). having said that, everyone should also respect one another's "fact" =).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
The creator of Dolby Digital wrote in their ... "FAQ about Dolby Digital" ...

FACT:
So, before I bought my HT speakers, my 1995-1998 research in different Stereo & Video magazines revealed Dolby Lab's recommendation for the up and coming AC-3 (Dolby Digital) format, including their recommendation of using identical speakers all-around. When the budget was right (WAF definitely required) back in 1998/99, I bought identical bookshelf speakers all-around w/timbre-matched center! The LFE/bass duties were handled by passive to my present powered SVS 25-31PCi sub! I've used sub's since 1979/80 (stereo 3-piece sat & sub) and naturally never considered any other option when I finally delved into HT!!!

Of course, room and space will be a factor in anyone's HT decision!!! So, you can setup and use whatever you like, just make sure that those speakers are timber-(voice)-matched!!! (key to timber-matched is identical size and material tweeter's all-around)

Fortunately for me in my 20 x 30 HT/family room, I can basically re-create the same 5.1/6.1 surround environment that the mixer uses to create our blockbuster DVD's!!! :)

Phil

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Phil- I have asked you this before but you never answered it. :) Recommendations on paper are one thing. But have *you* actually tried either dipoles or bipoles/omnipoles in your system?

I have tried all three, and I am comfortable knowing what works best for me in my system with my preferences in my room. :emoji_thumbsup:

And you conveniently ignore THX recommendations, which are as equally valid as the ones that you so freely quote.

There is no one type of speaker that will work in all situations for all people. It's as simple as that.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Okay folks, before everybody get's their panties in a bunch about what's fact or reality, here's the definition of both according to Merriam-Webster:

Fact:
Pronunciation: 'fakt
Function: noun
a piece of information presented as having objective reality

Reality:
Pronunciation: rE-'a-l&-tE
Function: noun
the quality or state of being real

Having said /written that, fact or reality has only minimal bearing on something as subjective as the use of bipole/dipole vs. direct radiating speakers, regardless of what documentation is available... :p) -TD

post-Kevin's post edit: Yeah, what he said... :p)

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Audio is a hobby, not a religion. Similarly, you don't need to follow the guidance from Dolby lab to get to the home theater nirvana. In the end, your ears tell you what sounds good to you and what does not. There is no right or wrong in speaker selection. It's just a preference. Besides, the quote about five identical FULL RANGE speakers is in the context of five discrete FULL RANGE channels of Dolby Digital in comparison with Prologic with matrixed surrounds. It's not like "you have to use five identical speakers, or else..."

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
ah. I see dictionaries have been brought out. Probably a bad sign.

The intent of THX, as I understand it, is to recreate the cinematic experience, using home equipment. THX certified theaters are quite large, and most home theaters are quite small. So, in order to correct for this difference, some electronic filtering is used, and odd equipment is sometimes specified.

Sometime, when you're in a movie theater, look around. Notice that there are multiple surround speakers. A few on the side wall, a few on the back wall. The dipole speakers are intended to replicate this environment.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I'm sorry Kevin, I thought I did, but no, I didn't!

Personally, didn't want to since, base on my research, conversations with a couple of forum (not this forum) member's w/Movie & Studio 5.1/6.1 mixing experience and lastly personal friend that works @ Dolby Labs (works in SF) didn't recommend it for DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 HT reproduction playback!

I'm glad you like the diffused sound!

I personally like the 360-degree seamless surround sound myself.

Opinions are dime a dozen, enjoy what you decide to use!!!

I just base my decision on the DD-5.1 creator's, PRO Mixer's & PHD VP White Paper!

Phil

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'll pass on the discussion of facts vs. opinions because as a science teacher I have very definite views on that particular subject, so I'll spare everyone my rants (in the field of education this has become a very contentious issue, and many of us feel this is partly responsible for the dumbing down of education in many parts of this country*).

Anyhoo.........

While I think in my system-along with the room it is in & its particular shape-sounds best with monopoles, if for some reason I *had* to use bi/dipoles I certainly wouldn't stop listening to 5.1 music or movies. Like Tom alluded to, IMO this is nothing to get mad about since in the end, this issue is so very subjective.

But if anyone starts telling me my speakers will float upwards if I knock them off their stands, then we'll have a problem! :D

* don't miss the page about how overuse of technology i.e. computers in schools is believed to be having a negative effect on our kids' education.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator

Hate to break it to you, Jongyoon, but probably no time soon. "Ignorance is bliss" isn't just a catchy phrase. I'd almost go so far as to call that a "fact"... :D -TD

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
in my experince monopoles gave me gaps =). i prefer dipoles to fill in those gaps :emoji_thumbsup: :b ;)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
This could be beat like a dead horse and we still would not come out ahead. Too many variables like Ears, rooms, treatments, desires, expectations, preferences, speakers and gear to name only a few.

Very subjective that each person will have to decide on their own. I have spent that last 10 years going back and forth. Finally found some dipoles that I like and am sticking with them for awhile but have direct radiators in the back and just dipole on the sides. Also just use them for movies and cut them off for music as I don't care for them when listening to just music. So you see even just in my situation there are a lot of variables. There is no right or wrong way. Its up to your ears and what you like as its your theater or room!
Mike

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure who this was directed at, but while I haven't owned any bi/dipoles, I've heard them several times in properly configured demo systems....and I didn't like them (including some $3K/pair B&Ws last year). Aiding in my decision is also the fact I don't much like di/bipolar front mains either. They can sound very good and realistic for acoustic music, but whenever I play my other music (95% of the time), they* usually have a "floaty" feeling that sort of bothers me. Though bipolar types like Definitive Technology and Mirage, relatively speaking, are more to my liking & I have thought sometimes about buying one of these for a stereo-only system.

* I've heard four dipolar brands so far: Martin-Logan, Acoustat, Bertagni & certain Infinitys.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I take exception to the title/topic of the thread, because clearly "bipoles are not a must" just another choice, but clearly not a must.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think people take Dolby and DTS specs way to seriously and face it folks its for a perfectly designed room. How many of us have it here? I wish I did but its not possible in this lifetime so I will have to do with what I have. Sure I take in a lot of what they say to get the just of it but it still boils down to your personal ear preference and also your room ups and downs. That also takes time and practice moving things around a bit and taking some time listening instead of just getting your speakers home and hanging or placing them where you think or are told they should go. Experment... you would be surprised at what even a foot of movement can do for any speaker....dipole, bipole, tripole or direct pole!
Mike

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have 7 full range identical speakers in my HT. Just don't think the wife and my wallet would go for it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks