What's new

Bipole Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Did a search and couldnt come up with any results on the forum. I would be getting my Energy CR1 Bipoles by tomorrow, i wanted to ask what should be their ideal placement? I will be using them for side surrounds in a 7.1 setup, the Dipoles are recommened to be put so that listener is at null area but what about Bipoles, should i place them slightly behind the listening position or in line ? Please advice!
Thanks!
Daman

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If possible the usual placement is so that the main listening position is in the null, meaning directly to the sides of the listening position. But play with it both ways if you'd like . . . just get out a step-ladder or something to sit them on and try moving them to each possible position and see what you like.

Daman

Second Unit
thanks Seth, but isnt what you are describing suggested for Dipoles since they have a null area in between.. i guess ill have to do what you said to find out what i like best. Thanks for the tip :)

Alex F.

Second Unit
Daman:

You'll find that bipole-surround manufacturers (as opposed to dipole speakers, which are different) will typically recommend locating the speakers about 1-2 feet behind your seated ears, and mounted about 2-3 feet above ear level.

I have a good deal of experience with bipole surrounds and certainly agree with the above. It works superbly with both movie and music surround duties. My preferred height, after a great deal of experimentation in rooms with an 8-ft ceiling, is to position the tweeters about 6 feet above the floor.

Happy listening!

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Alex-

Isn't that mounting scheme for a 5.1 system? I seem to recall it's different in a 7.1.

Alex F.

Second Unit
For use as side surrounds in both 5.1 and 7.1 they work best as I previously described.

Have a good weekend!

Daman

Second Unit
Fantastic! Thanks a lot Alex, will set it up the way you mentioned.. and yes what would you prefer for movies? Dipole or Bipole? Ive read that mostly bipoles are preferred for movies and dipoles for music.. thanks for the help again!

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Different uses, for different placement. Dipoles are designed for side use (3 & 9 o clock from LP) whereas bipoles can be used for side and rears.

I use dipoles for sides, and will be buying a set of bipoles for rears.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Daman:

It's really a subjective choice, and it's fun to experiment. Bipoles, dipoles, and monopoles have their own specific attributes.

Dipoles work best overall for ambience reproduction in movies and classical music, but one should be sitting in the null area for best results.

I have found, in my opinion, that bipoles are an ideal all-in-one side surround speaker. They provide much of the ambience of a dipole plus the attributes of a monopole when the latter is preferred (e.g., many action films with discrete effects and some popular music mixes on SACD and DVD-Audio). Also, bipoles are very tolerant of various seating positions. Given the option, one can thus purchase a dedicated bipole speaker or leave a switchable bipole/dipole on the bipole setting and then forget about it and just enjoy the movies and/or the music.

Have fun!

Alex F.

Second Unit
Daman:

It's really a subjective choice, and it's fun to experiment. Bipoles, dipoles, and monopoles have their own specific attributes.

Dipoles work best overall for ambience reproduction in movies and classical music, but one should be sitting in the null area for best results.

I have found, in my opinion, that bipoles are an ideal all-in-one side surround speaker. They provide much of the ambience of a dipole plus the attributes of a monopole when the latter is preferred (e.g., many action films with discrete effects and some popular music mixes on SACD and DVD-Audio). Also, bipoles are very tolerant of various seating positions. Given the option, one can thus purchase a dedicated bipole speaker or leave a switchable bipole/dipole on the bipole setting and then forget about it and just enjoy the movies and/or the music.

Have fun!

Daman

Second Unit
Alex!! That eases my mind and puts things in a clear prespective... thanks a ton!!!now am eagerly looking to the delivery of speakers tomorrow, will post up my experience soon!

Daman

Second Unit
Alex!! That eases my mind and puts things in a clear prespective... thanks a ton!!!now am eagerly looking to the delivery of speakers tomorrow, will post up my experience soon!

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I agree w/ Alex. I use Bipoles and place them on either side of me, so that i am in the null. Great for both Music and films. My tweets are about 6 feet off the ground. I also use the same speakers in the rear for 7.1.
I prefer the in-phase sound of a Bipole to the out of phase sound of a dipole. Good luck.

Scott

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I agree w/ Alex. I use Bipoles and place them on either side of me, so that i am in the null. Great for both Music and films. My tweets are about 6 feet off the ground. I also use the same speakers in the rear for 7.1.
I prefer the in-phase sound of a Bipole to the out of phase sound of a dipole. Good luck.

Scott

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add a question since I am new to dipole/bipole and want to replace my monopole surrounds. I am expanding my theater to have 3 rows of seats (14 total). 12' x 20' room.
If I place dipoles right next to the front row which will be my main viewing area, how will that effect the back rows? Will they still get adequate surround when they are not in the "null" zone. Or should I put bipoles instead on the back wall??

GregBe

Second Unit
Tim,

M&K recommends putting them directly in between two rows of seating, so in your situation, I would line them up with the second row of seats. I think in that scenario, you would have the best compromise for row 3, and rows 1 and 2 would be perfect. You may want to experiment.

Greg

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Just to throw another opinion out there -- I'd put them in the best location for row one. Most of your watching will be from row one, and when you have guests, you should let them sit there. IMO, I wouldn't want to compromise to try and make it the best for all rows. 95% of the time, it's just me and my wife or kids watching. Having a small sweet spot is not a problem.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Charlie brings up a good point but that would still be about position of center row which would work out fine for just about anyone in that room. Obviously the very best for front row but on most things I doubt if you would be able to tell much difference between the front and middle rows with these speakers as they are meant to difuse. I have seen people having to put them at like 6 Ft. or less or even higher than 8 Ft. due to wall restraints and just accomodating them on your receiver or pre/pro with a bit of length or slight time delay makes them good to go.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I think it will pay to experiment with it. Maybe it would be the first or second row. It might be nice if I got speakers that were dipole/bipole switchable to see which I like. I am used to monopole very directional speakers. I may not be used to the diffuse properties of dipole and I've heard that bipole are in between as they are somewhat directional when mounted on the back wall.
Those are some sweet speaker mentioned above - the Infinity and B & W, but I am afraid out of my price range. I saw some Polk Audio dipole/bipoles on Ebay for under $200 a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks