Bipole speaker placement question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Blaine_M, May 3, 2004.

1. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'm borrowing a pair of Mirage 590i speakers from my brother. How far away from the wall should they be placed?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would start with at least a foot.

I have OM-7's, and for the best sound quality, imaging, etc, I have the acoustical centers (midpoint in the cabinet between the forward and rearward facing drivers) 29" out from the front wall. But, that distance also depends on your room dimensions too.

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Ok, I've got them about 24 inches away from the wall now. They are lined up with the front of my entertainment center. Do you angle yours in any, or do you point them straight ahead?

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's also going to depend. [​IMG]

If straight ahead is no toe in, and if pointing directly at me is 100% toed in, then I have mine toed in about 1/2 way.

It is interesting to try different toe ins and distances from the back wall. You wouldn't think you'd hear big differences, but they can be there. For example, I used to have these same speakers about 23" out from the front wall (only 6" difference), but the image sounded like it was in a tunnel. (I.e., the image sounded like it was beyond the front wall.) When I moved them to where they are now, the image popped right to right where it should be: to equidistant in between and in front of both speakers. Kind of scary, because I almost got rid of them before I figured out that distance thing. [​IMG]

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'll play with that some, my brother said I could have the speakers if I wanted them, which sounds like a good deal to me if they sound good (right now they seem to sound about the same, maybe just a slightly different type of sound compared to my old fronts). They are replacing some B&W 601's if I keep them.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One thing to listen for: when you have them set up the way that sounds pretty good, walk around the room. And listen from *other* places in the room. For example, I have my favorite seat in my room, but then I can also accomodate 4 other people, for watching a movie, for example. One big advantage of Mirages (and other bipolar/omnipolar speakers) IMO, is that you get better sound *elsewhere* in the room than with direct radiators.

7. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'll try that, I've got several guys from work coming over tonight to watch Last Samuri.