bipole/dipole 5.1, or monopole 7.1?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnnyO, Apr 21, 2004.

1. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Auditioning

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm starting to build my system. I'm still a bit unsure of the real differences. In general, which one sounds better and do you prefer? I have an H/K 630 and Polk RTi100s right now. Would my money be better spent on polk's FXi 5 bipole/dipole for the 5.1 system, or should I get monopoles and run it as a 7.1 system? I do have an old pair of BAs (HD5Vs) which I could use as well. Any thoughts?
  2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Apr 8, 2003
    Bipole, Dipole and Tripole don't sound "better" than one another. They're just different, suiting different preference, room layout, audience placement/seating & speakear placement.

Have a look here for a recent discussion..

A monopole advocate would recommend monopoles all-round. I on the other hand do not.

I suggest you borrow a pair of monopoles, bipoles, dipoles & Tripoles.

Place dipoles on the side wall. Then bipoles along the back wall. Then try it with monopoles where the bipoles were.

Also try bipoles for both sides & rears.

Then try dipoles for sides, tripoles for sides.

Then tripoles for sides & rears.

Then monopoles for sides & rears.

As you can see, it's not a open and shut case.
  3. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

Mar 1, 2001
    I have tried the following combinations in my 7.1 system listed in the following order of preference:

Axiom QS8's for the side and rear center, my current setup and for me the best combination.

Atlantic Technology Dipoles for the side and rear center, come in at number two.

Atlantic Technology Dipoles for the side and Definitive Techology Bipoles for the rear center come in third.

Atlantic Technolgy Dipoles for the side and a pair of Boston Acoustics BRAVOB Bravo Multi-Pupose Speakers (monopoles) for the rear center in fourth place.

All monopoles of any type/brand, forget it...

Check out the following article: