Bipolar surrounds mounted sideways - bad idea?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Babin, Jan 20, 2005.

1. David Babin

David Babin Auditioning

I have a set of Definitive Technology BPX's as my current surrounds. These are bipole speakers and I love the sound. I only have a 5.1 setup right now and the rear speakers are currently mounted behind me, five feet behind where I sit and about 10-11 feet apart. My listening area is 22 feet wide x 20 feet long.

Now I have seen on the Dolby Labs site that this is not the optimal position for rear surrounds in a 5.1 set up and that they should be mounted to the sides and slightly behind me.

I think that I would have a huge hole in the rear if I did this with my current set up.

Even though I would have to buy a new receiver (I have a Harman Kardon AVR7000 that I really like), I am seriously considering going to 7.1 in the near future.

If I did this, I would get another set of Definitive Bipoles. My problem is that I dont have room on the side walls to mount the speakers the normal vertical way, due to a huge wall of windows on the left side. There is only about 11 inches of space between the top of the window and the wall. I can fit the speakers on the side if I turn them sideways. This would put one set of drivers firing slightly down towards me and one set firing slightly up towards the center of the raised ceiling in the middle of the room.

Has anybody ever done this? Any other ideas or advice?

I have never heard a 7.1 system back to back with a 5.1 system so I dont even know how much I am missing or would gain.

-David

2. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I have the BPX's as well (and love them). I am finishing my basement into a dedicated HT. I would NOT mount them sidewaym, but maybe move them back more if needed or maybe build a special bracket for them. As for the rear in a 7.1 system they are actually supposed to be monopoles spaces about 4 feet part shooting straight toward the screen.

See this website for more info (it won't let me post links yet)

www dot dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

3. Eric:F

Eric:F Stunt Coordinator

you have only your ears to please.
    try it, you can always change it.
    best,
    eric

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Don't forget to try 45 degrees... you might be surprised.