Bipolar Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

i have heard some people say they prefer bipolar on the side walls while some prefer then on the rear. Is putting them in the corner any good? Wouldn't this then difuse the sound along both the walls evenly. I have never heard anyone do this but can't see what would be wrong in doing so.

What is the difference between bipolar and dipolar?

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Richard, I have a pair of CSW Newton S300s that have 3 settings, monopole (or direct), bipole, and dipole. There are good technical descriptions floating around in the archive here if you do a search. The main difference is that dipole mode outputs sound in a diffuse manner, usually out of phase. It is meant to try and fill the room with ambient noise. Bipole is a combination of direct and dipole with the diffuse sound still being produced as well as direct front firing woofer/tweeter being used. I am not sure what mode is best, personal opinion really. I think I'm leaning toward monopole with my particular speakers. It still produces a little diffuse sound but basically uses the woofer+tweeter on the front. I still need to play around with it.
    As for placement, that's a good question and one I was going to ask the same question since I currently have them mounted on halfmoon shelves (the speaker is shaped in like a halfmoon as well) in the back corners about 2 feet behind the listening position. The WAF factor is high with this setup so it may be hard for me to move them to the side walls. [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

When I bought bipolar towers, I spent some time researching bipole vs dipole and how to set them up.
    In a nutshell:
    Dipole: These speakers are designed to be mounted ON A WALL & fire sound along the wall so the listener hears the REFLECTED sound only. This is great to create diffuse, non-locatable sounds like wind/rain/music.
    Bipolar: These speakers are designed to be mounted 2-3 feet away from nearby walls. They fire directly at the listener, and (hopefully) have a smooth, un-broken wall behind them to reflect a time-delayed copy of their sound. Done properly, the echo will fool your ears into placing the sound-source several feet farther away than it really is. This can make your living room feel like it is changing sizes.
    With the movie The Fugitive there are several scenes that toggle between a cell-phone in the swamp and a stuffy office. The change in feeling of space as the scene flips back and forth is almost painful with properly setup bipolar towers. (My ears felt like they should pop from the pressure change [​IMG] ).
    Hope this helps.