What's new

Bionic Woman season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
But it isn't a matter of a trade, though, is it? I agree that Journeyman is a far better show but that's neither here or there.

I won't miss Bionic Woman if it goes away, but if it stays I will watch it -- assuming it gets back to the tone it set in the first episode, the premiere episode that was dark, creepy, and had great ratings.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i hope this AWFUL show did get pulled.

i wanted it to be a great show. but it never found its footing and had multiple chances. if firefly couldn't make it how in the hell could this EVER make it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Someone should tell the folks who make Bionic Woman, so they can change the upcoming dvd release title from "Vol. 1" to "the complete series".

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there's a chance Bionic Woman may return as a British production? New cast, aside from Ryan. I suggest this because the UK premier was ITV2's most watched show ever -- the highest ratings that channel has ever had, including soccer matches.

If the show concept were to be sold outright to them, and was set in the UK, Jamie could slowly "pick up" what is in fact Ryan's natural British accent, which would hopefully solve the actresses' problem of not being able to act to the best of her ability while also doing the American accent.

The change in location would also explain why there'd be an entirely new cast of supporting players. (Assuming none of the American cast would be willing to work for BBC level paychecks).

I know the show is dead as far as the US production is concerned, but, this would be a neat change.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it's possible - didn't Galactica start out as a co-production with Sky before Universal more or less brought it completely in-house? I imagine ITV will want to see how future episodes do before talking to Uni about that, though - especially if the tone of the week frustrates UK audiences as much as it did American viewers.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
!!! THE BIONIC WOMAN HAS BEEN CANCELED BY NBC !!!

... and it's about the time. The serious was notorious bad and it I'm surprised it lasted this long. NBC had problems from the very beginning as this new series had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the original series. None of the other supporting characters that made the original series were included in the new series and the only character to survive from the original series was the character of Jamie Summers and even that character was so drastically altered that it resembled nothing from the original character.

According to David Eick, co-executive producer of NBC's SF series Bionic Woman, confirmed to SCI FI Wire that the network has indeed canceled the show, though the network has not yet officially said as much.

"I just felt that the process was so frustrating, and the conditions under which we were making that show never really came to fruition in such a way that I felt like we could make the show well," Eick said in an interview at SCI FI Channel's upfront presentation to advertisers in New York on March 18. "The actress [Michelle Ryan] we found was wonderful. Some of the writing was good."

But, he added: "We just didn't ever bring it all together like we did with Battlestar. At a certain point, when it becomes that frustrating, I think you're better off to say, 'Let's try again another time,' and let it go."

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
First of all, I'd like to know what the hell is up with NBC. I read the latest batch of articles where Eick says the show is finished, but they all seem to mention that NBC will not confirm the status of the show. Is it that hard for NBC to whip up a quick press release that says the show is done?

That, coupled with the "Volume One" label on the DVD release, is bound to confuse some people about the show's status. As I purchased the DVD on Tuesday, the cashier asked me if I knew anything about the show's status, because they said that they hadn't seen it on TV since the writer's strike ended. All I could tell them was that it was still up in the air, because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so to speak, when it comes to NBC and the cast & crew. I told them, "Most likely, they're going to cancel it and just air what they've done in overseas markets."

I guess we should all just chalk this up as "finished," and if we hear anything or not about the show in the future, whatever. I guess we should just all hope that the rights crap with the original BW / SMDM shows gets cleared up (or at least that they keep continuing releases in other regions, for now) for domestic home video release, so that we can at least enjoy that.

As for me, I'll probably watch a bit of the DVD this weekend, and hope that Michelle Ryan gets some more work in the future. It really sucks that the show is done, because before, I was at the mercy of PBS, BBC America, and a few other channels that would show "EastEnders" or any other programming that she's done. She's one of my favorite actresses, and I just hope that she continues working.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It wouldn't be hard, but why should they? Especially given the circumstances of this season (writer's strike, potential SAG strike), there's no particularly good reason to close the door on making new episodes of the show until the point when it would cost money to do so. They've still got two or three months to look at their potential schedule for fall, see that having a half-dozen episodes of a brand-name show like this in the can in case some of their new series tank (especially since they're not even shooting pilots this year) or an actors' strike means they're running out of episodes in mid-November again.

There's little benefit to closing the door more than they already have, somewhat more for waiting. So they're choosing to wait.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Excellent post, Jason. From that perspective, I can see why they'd keep the status of the show floating about.

I have read conflicting reports on whether or not there are episodes left in the can. Like you, I've heard that they have about 5 or 6 episodes completed. However, I've also heard that everything that was finished (save for the episodes that were completely changed and re-done after all the flip-flopping of showrunners and whatnot) already aired.

I'd love to learn which of those scenarios is fact. After reading what you posted, and if those completed episodes do exist, they just might come in handy down the line. I guess it's back to wait-and-see for anyone that enjoys this show.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'm not saying that they have any more episodes completed - I'm pretty sure they don't. But they have the option to order more or a second season until sometime in July, I think, and there's no reason not to keep that option open until then - when they start getting a look at their fall product in June (if stuff starts shooting early), they might decide it's worth ordering some Bionic Woman as a backup - especially if the UK ratings stay good and they know that Universal will recoup some of the price through foreign revenue.

Of course, I think it's also all-but-officially dead - it was one of the most notable shows that actually exercised options in contracts to let people go rather than pay them reduced wages during the writer's strike, so if it were to be restarted it would be very much starting from scratch, which this show has probably done enough.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I see. It makes sense for them to keep the status of the show open, then.

I'm thinking that it's pretty much dead, too, especially for the reason that you mentioned (writer's strike situation). Still, I wish that they would release the alternate cuts of the first few episodes, including the alternate pilot with the different sister.

Well, maybe if there are no new episodes, that will be the "Volume 2" DVD release, with all the alternate scenes and episodes. In all seriousness, though, this will probably just be one of many "Season One" or "Volume One" TV show DVD releases that never lead to anything else, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks