What's new

Bionic Woman season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know, man. I think David Eick must have pictures of a studio head with a goat or something. I've never seen a show get so many second chances. If you have to retool three times, you're usually just gone.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a nice episode to go out on. Jaime's relationship with her sister is partially settled -- she'll share her feelings with her from now on, but she'll still protect her from the facts. And Jonas finally got more than 5 minutes of screen time (as he certainly deserved more). Even the psychiatrist had another excellently humorous line.

A nice end to the show, but, I'd like the show to come back if -- and only if -- the producer has a story arc in mind, and good writers to write it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I feel like they finally got the right feel - dark and creepy, but also with some humor based on Jamie being basically the only really well-adjusted person in the Burkett Group. Miguel Ferrer is also killing as Jonas.

What the show needs now is some strong, interesting stories. Not arcs, just some solid done-in-one missions of the week. The generic terrorists in generic places just aren't cool enough to need a bionic woman involved.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'd prefer a show with just her sister. She could be doing anything like just sitting there. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It ain't like Michelle is chopped liver. But, now that I know the sister is 18, go right ahead. :)

I agree with Jason. They've got a decent foundation, but the "cases of the week" just aren't popping. I didn't even really pick up on what the kid's father was into--I was watching tired, I guess--but it wasn't very interesting anyway.

If they come back, they need to really ramp up the Jaime/Nathan partnership. That's been the best thing of the whole show so far. I'd keep him over the phone for the most part, but he could use his training a little bit here and there. It's kind of a Punisher/Microchip kind of deal.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
As usual, the Berkut Group is ridiculous.

I did like that one line at the beginning that whatshername said about Antonio. It was totally out of nowhere, and very funny (intentionally or not).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's why I love Ruth, she has said some of craziest out-of-left-field things, but I have never doubted her sincerity.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And I love the Berkut group because it is exactly the kind of dysfunctional organization that real companies often are. The Christmas party is probably as morose as their death party was. They have money but lack personnel (having to "call Haliburton" when they need extra guys), their decor is the pits. Their psychiatrist is a bit "off". And they've got a guy on staff to train people to fight, but how many hours is he really working? I love these flaws, because they're so pitifully true to life.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i see the problem with this show and others that are new this season is that they attempt to do the story of the week plots and that does not work anymore.

television viewers are much more savvy and expect more compelling story ARCS. these story of the week series might as well be live action cartoons and are just about as entertaining as the aforemention power rangers and the like......

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That argument would make a lot more sense if the likes of CSI, Law & Order, Bones, and House weren't licenses to print money. Even though many of those shows have continuing storylines, they're solidly grounded in telling a story that asks a question, investigates the situation, and delivers an answer within forty-two minutes.

The problem is, Bionic Woman didn't do either of these in a particularly compelling manner. The constant turnover at the top made it hard to figure out what the ongoing story would be, and the individual episodes didn't have very interesting stories.

If the show returns post-strike, hopefully the writers will have worked out how to do this in their heads. I like "The Berkut Group is an international foundation that specializes in investigating and thwarting the next-generation threats to national and world security that government agencies are not prepared to handle; Jamie Summers must also investigate why she was targeted for recruitment even before her limbs were replaced with super-powerful bionic prosthetics." Then, every week, make the best effort possible to deliver on that premise.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am in favor of more "plot of the week" shows. I don't like the stress that shows like Lost and Heroes gives me to not miss an episode. If I ever miss one episode of Lost or Heroes, I will not watch any more that season until the DVDs come out. There is no way to watch lost if you miss an episode. I hate this. I don't mind a 2 parter now and then, but not one story that takes 22 episodes to resolve.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The main problem with the show is that by now, there is no "gotta see it" vibe (very interesting lead character or solid cast chemistry) or "what will happen next" hook to keep people coming back to see how it all gets resolved next week. Having at least 3-4 distinctive tonal shifts in the show over these 8 episodes didn't help matters, either.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I don't trust this, because it is at least third-hand, but I listened to a podcast where fans of Bionic Woman said that they had heard that the Bionic Woman's standing sets (the Berkut Group office, Jaime's fancy apartment) have been struck. However this sounded like it may be a warmed-up derivative of the rumor that it would be cheaper to restart the show in Los Angeles than to continue it in Canada.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Bionic Woman is not dead yet. NBC.com says the show will return soon. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad. I would trade this show for Journeyman anyday.

I still watch this but won't miss it when it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks