What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (2 Viewers)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattHR
Hey Jeff,
You are correct about both photos. You advance to the next round of "Bionic Jeopardy"!
Matt, thanks /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif What is it that the kids say these days? "Bring it on" /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif LW was the perfect cast for this show.

Who would have believed this would happen....6 years after that NBC/Universal promo DVD from Best Buy that got us all amped up back in '04....finally going to happen.

The question is, will it sell enough to see S2 & 3 released? I'm guessing it's a slam-dunk with this show. The other question is, if the #'s are good, what's Universal's timetable for the remaining 2 seasons? I hope it's not a 9-12 month wait between releases.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
question is, will it sell enough to see S2 & 3 released? I'm guessing it's a slam-dunk with this show. The other question is, if the #'s are good, what's Universal's timetable for the remaining 2 seasons? I hope it's not a 9-12 month wait between releases.
I don't think we have to worry about S2 & 3 being released. I have word that Uni has already interviewed and recorded commentaries from talent involved with those seasons, so I'd bet they'll fast-track them for release one right after the other. Since Universal will regain the distribution rights to SMDM after TimeLife's exclusive one-year period, it would make sense for Uni to have all three seasons of BW -- and possibly a separate release of the "reunion" movies and/or "complete series set" -- released before starting SMDM. They may even consider a "Bionic Mega-set" containing the complete collection of both shows.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave (TSoD) posted Uni's new BW S1 artwork. Link is here .

Nice /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif It looks like the upper left pic is from Pt 1 of "Welcome Home, Jamie" with the scene of Jamie exercising her bionics right before Dr Marchetti asks her to meet at his car.

Lower left pic is from "Canyon Of Death" where Jamie is listening for "Paco" as he tries to hide from here to win his "bet" about leaving school.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
The revised artwork is a much better job than Universal's first attempt, and reflects well the feel of the first season focusing on the intro theme images as these are universally recognised as being an integral part of the series. The running picture is one of my all time favorite BW shots. Also love the bottom left pic taken from as Jeff mention's "Canyon Of Death". Still would prefer the actual "Bionic Woman" logo used in the series, but no big deal. I am thrilled the series is finally coming to Region 1 and with bonus features to boot!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Since the new cover photo matches the DVD menus, it looks like they'd planned this all along. Or at least it may mean that the first cover was just an early mock-up.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Hey Uni,
I realize you would never consider scrapping the cover design and starting over, but how about a few more minor and easy-to-do changes...to the one on the right (show-specific type-style, better shot of Oscar with Jaime, changed fugly S1 banner and moved to less-intrusive lower corner.)

The shot of Oscar they've used is way too serious a look for him -- more suited for SMDM. Oscar was much more 'loose' and 'playful' on BW, so the cover shot should reflect that. They might as well use the shot of him from the main title sequence (below), since they've already got two of Jaime from there.

b1f4c090_bionicwoman_s1dvd.jpg
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/318451/width/1000/height/800

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Hey Matt! I would definitely choose your version instead of the Universal second cover design. I love the Carleton font you used for your cover. Two thumbs up!

MattHR

Screenwriter
Design wise, the shot of Oscar/Jaime works better on balance. Their cover is basically two tall columns of images -- each with a single subject. The left column is formed of three horizontal images -- but their focal points are all centered vertically -- with dead space on their sides. The Oscar/Jaime shot fills the frame with two subjects -- giving the group of images a much-needed balance -- not to mention being dead-on accurate for the depiction of the Oscar/Jaime chemistry of the show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No, it only means that Uni had not finalized the masters yet and sent them off to the plant, so they could easily change the menus to match the cover art.

For TV-DVDs, Uni always matches the menus and the box art; I can't recall a title offhand where they didn't (though there's probably a couple out there that I'm overlooking at the moment). So when folks complained that it took Uni "a whole week" to change the box, I kept thinking to myself "yeah, but they probably also have to change every menu on every disc to match!" (and then QA check it again, etc.).

Originally Posted by Will_B
Since the new cover photo matches the DVD menus, it looks like they'd planned this all along. Or at least it may mean that the first cover was just an early mock-up.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Matt, I love your cover design version of the 1st season. The proper BW font looks so much better ( i agree that the Season 1 banner looks better in the lower left corner). Also great choice in changing the "serious" Oscar picture to one of both Oscar & Jaime....as you say, it better captures the chemistry the two of them shared and gives us 4 great shots of the beautiful Ms Wagner on the cover! (And all Season 1 specific) Great Job!!

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
Press Release!:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bionic-Woman-Season-1-Press-Release/14399

"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

From Universal Studios Home Entertainment
One of the Most Iconic Television Series Leaps Onto DVD for the First Time Ever
The Bionic Woman:
Season One

Available on DVD October 19, 2010
Superhuman Bonus Features Include "The Six Million Dollar Man" Crossover Episodes
That Launched the Series, and an All-new Interview with Lindsay Wagner!
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - Fans can finally experience one of television's most memorable television series when "The Bionic Woman" Season One debuts on DVD on October 19, 2010 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Relive the excitement of this groundbreaking television series starring Primetime Emmy Award winner Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Sommers, a woman leading the ultimate double-life. Never-before-released on DVD in North America, this four-disc set includes every episode from the show's premiere season plus five crossover episodes from "The Six Million Dollar Man," and a Bionic Beginnings featurette, which tracks evolution of television's first Bionic Woman and includes an all-new, exclusive interview with Lindsay Wagner.
"The Bionic Woman's" 1976 premiere introduced delighted television viewers to a thrilling new kind of action hero - the blonde, brainy and beautiful Jaime Sommers. Armed with an astonishing range of superhuman abilities, Jaime goes undercover as a schoolteacher to take on a host of evildoers in 13 action-filled adventures that take her to every corner of the globe.
Inspired by the Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated action series "The Six Million Dollar Man," "The Bionic Woman" Season One stars Primetime Emmy Award winner and Golden Globe-nominee Lindsay Wagner (The Paper Chase) and Richard Anderson ("Dynasty"), along with an array of 1970s luminaries including Lee Majors ("The Six Million Dollar Man"), Andy Griffith ("Matlock"), Tippi Hedren (The Birds) and Kristy McNichol ("Empty Nest").
"The Bionic Woman" Season One DVD comes with exciting bonus features to delight any collector, including:

• Five "The Six Million Dollar Man" Crossover Episodes:

1. "The Bionic Woman" - the original second season "The Six Million Dollar Man" episode where Jaime Sommers becomes the Bionic Woman.

2. "The Bionic Woman: Part II" - Jaime Sommers is sent on her first assignment for the Office of Scientific Investigations in this second season "The Six Million Dollar Man" episode.

3. "The Return of the Bionic Woman" - Steve Austin learns that Jaime Sommers is still alive, after seeing her die from a Bionic rejection. However, Jaime has suffered brain damage and no longer remembers anything about her past life, including Steve.

4. "The Return of the Bionic Woman Part II" - In an attempt to restore her memory, Steve Austin takes the recuperating Jaime Sommers to their hometown of Ojai, California. However, facing her past results in violent headaches and confusing flashbacks.

5. "Welcome Home, Jaime" - In "The Six Million Dollar Man" episode that launched "The Bionic Woman" spin-off series, Oscar Goldman arranges a job for Jaime as a schoolteacher, but she also insists on taking on the missions for the Office of Scientific Investigations.

• Bionic Beginnings Featurette: Featuring an all-new interview with Lindsay Wagner, this featurette tracks the evolution of television's first Bionic Woman from her introduction in a two-part episode of "The Six Million Dollar Man" to the launch of her own series.

• Episode Commentary: Commentaries featuring director Alan J. Levi, writer James D. Parriott and writer/director Kenneth Johnson.

• Gag Reel

• Photo Gallery
SYNOPSIS:
She can run faster than 60 mph, bend massive steel bars, jump from insane heights and hear sounds you can only imagine. She's no ordinary schoolteacher...she's "The Bionic Woman." Relive the excitement of this iconic TV series starring Primetime Emmy Award winner Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Sommers, a woman leading the ultimate double-life. After her unforgettable appearances on "The Six Million Dollar Man" as Colonel Steve Austin's (Lee Majors) true love, Jaime's story begins anew in these entertaining Season One episodes as she learns to deal with her new bionic abilities, becomes a top-secret agent for the Office of Scientific Investigations and deals with her changed relationship with Steve. Now available in a four-disc set that includes five original episodes featured in "The Six Million Dollar Man" and a never-before-seen Bionic Beginnings Featurette, "The Bionic Woman" Season One promises non-stop action, excitement and adventure with the world's first female cyborg.
The Bionic Woman: Season One
Street Date: October 19, 2010
Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Picture Format: Full Screen
Languages: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
SRP: $39.98
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric and 20% owned by Vivendi.
Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bionic-Woman-Season-1-Press-Release/14399#ixzz0zSPX7JuH

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
That gets my vote for ugliest cover released this year for a TV set if they really release this cover.
nah, there've been worse. This is just a typical Universal cover: it conveys little-to-none of the flavour of the original show, and is done in such an 'updated' style it almost looks like they're trying to trick young people into buying an 'old' show.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
The trade ad/poster omits "The Return of the Bionic Woman" two-parter, claiming 3 SMDM episodes. The very first press release also claimed 3 and then a correction was issued. I assume the correction was a one-time-only thing and the left hand continues to be unaware of the right. It would be unfortunate if TRotBW was skipped, it is an important turning point, although with the low number of discs perhaps quality would improve.

I hope the text is correct and the Ad incorrect.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Joseph Burns
The trade ad/poster omits "The Return of the Bionic Woman" two-parter, claiming 3 SMDM episodes. The very first press release also claimed 3 and then a correction was issued. I assume the correction was a one-time-only thing and the left hand continues to be unaware of the right. It would be unfortunate if TRotBW was skipped, it is an important turning point, although with the low number of discs perhaps quality would improve.

I'd guess that the trade ad (for print) was put together at the same time as the original press release that contained those same errors. It's safe to assume "TRotBW" will be included as noted elsewhere.

I'm still curious to see how Uni will address the fact that they'll be using the same BW syndi version of "Welcome Home, Jaime - Part I" that Time Life is for their SMDM set -- after they went out "on a limb" touting that ep as a "bonus SMDM episode" in their press releases.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Joe, when we received the trade ad and saw the omitted mention of the 2-parter TRotBW, Gord got in touch with someone VERY high up at Universal, who kindly confirmed to us that it is included, as we were previously informed. To back this up, the press release was located that demonstrates all 5 cross-over episodes included. That's why I posted both together in my story: so there's no question that - whatever the trade ad says - you'll get all 5 of those SMDM episodes.

MattHR, to respond to your question about Uni addressing the fact that WHJ, P1 is the syndicated cut, I'll simply repeat here a comment I made on our Facebook fan page's discussion, for the exact same question about why Uni hasn't (and may not) mention it in their own materials: that's probably because on the Universal-released TBW-S1 set, that episode is merely an extra, not one of the primary features. I know fans won't see it that way, but the studio certainly does. But here's how it went down: TL licensed SMDM from Uni, and Uni provided them with all the original source material of SMDM for TL to restore/remaster. TL paid for that, and then provided back to Universal the SMDM episodes which crossed over to TBW-S1. Since "WHJ, P1" was not provided to TL by Uni in the original form, but only in the syndicated form, and since that's the version TL had to fix up for their release (having not found the original version via their own efforts), then that's the version TL would have provided back to Uni for their release of TBW-S1.

In a near-future story at TSoD, I hope to talk a LITTLE bit more (just a line or two) about how extensive Time-Life's search was for the uncut version of WHJ, P1.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Probably very few of those interested have not already read the Kenny Johnson interview, but for those few, Kenny cleared up a question in this thread regarding the remaining seasons of The Bionic Woman:

I haven't heard anything about a COMPLETE set, I know that

they are planning to release Season 2 shortly after the first of the year
and Season 3 shortly after.

So rest easy, Bionic fans, every bionic adventure will soon be available.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Probably very few of those interested have not already read the Kenny Johnson interview, but for those few, Kenny cleared up a question in this thread regarding the remaining seasons of The Bionic Woman:

So rest easy, Bionic fans, every bionic adventure will soon be available.
Joe, thanks for the info. I was late to the chat and didn't know that Kenneth mentioned the Uni timetable.

For me, S3 is the one that I'm looking forward to, as that's the only one that I didn't buy in R2/4. And I'm interested in the transfer Q for this set.

MattHR

Screenwriter
That was always Universal's plan: Release BW:S1 around the same time as TimeLife's complete SMDM. Then follow with S2, S3, and a separate volume containing the reunion movies at 3-month intervals. That would lead right up to this same time next year, when Uni would start releasing their own individual season sets of SMDM. For as long as we've had to wait for these R1 releases, it makes me especially happy to get them all in such short order—and with such great bonus features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks