Bing Crosby's Missing Mack Sennett Shorts

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have been trying to track down the shorts Bing Crosby made for Mack Sennet in the early 1930s. As far as I can tell, there were eight of these. I have found five. Portions of some of them were edited into the 1946 feature, Road to Hollywood. For the complete versions, Kino released a DVD titled Hollywood Rhythm Vol. 2 that contained Dream House (1932) and Blue of the Night (1933). A company called Master Classics also released a CD/DVD combo called The Centennial Anthology, which contained Billboard Girl (1932), I Surrender, Dear (1931), Sing, Bing, Sing (1933), and again Blue Of The Night (1933).

Totally missing in complete form are the shorts: One More Chance (1931), Please (1933), and
Just an Echo (1934). Some sources I have seen suggest that the final two shorts were produced by Paramount. Does anyone know where these might be found?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
One More Chance is listed in the holdings of the Cohen Film Collection in their catalog along with all the others that have been released, so I assume they still have a print. The other two I can only assume are still licensed by Paramount and in their vault, possibly lumped into their Republic holdings.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for posting this - I didn't know about the Master Classics CD/DVD release.What were the quality of the prints used for that DVD?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mike*HTF said:
Thanks for posting this - I didn't know about the Master Classics CD/DVD release.What were the quality of the prints used for that DVD?
The shorts are pretty good quality for early 1930s now public domain shorts. I'm no expert, but they seemed comparable to many of the unrestored Hal Roach shorts from the same period shown on TCM. The CD is a good collection of early Crosby too.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I just bought it soon after Joe Doakes made light of it, received it today, and it is indeed from the Bing Crosby: The Centennial Anthology, released by a CD label called Master Classics that has a bonus DVD with the 4 shorts

I bought it from the following link

http://www.amazon.com/The-Centennial-Anthology-Bing-Crosby/dp/B000GY72W4/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The video quality is pretty substandard though not terrible, as these all had a VHS-like analogue appearance and audio quality. Worth if for their rarity and being unavailable elsewhere, but the bonus disc has the appearance of a PD bargain bin disc both in the menu ("play all episodes") and in the content audio/visual quality. The Paramount short collections by Kino content looked better, which isn't too surprising since they used transfers licensed from the former Rohauer library.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I looked on youtube and found the heretofore missing Please (). I don't know where the two others might be.
(part 2 to Please is here: )

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, I've been working on this thread for seven years and now I see that another missing short, One More Chance, has shown up on youtube. Now, the only remaining missing short is Just and Echo, which like Please was made for Paramount. According to Gary Giddings biograph, Bing didn't like Just an Echo and worked against its distribution. Here is One More Chance:

Wiseguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I have been trying to track down the shorts Bing Crosby made for Mack Sennet in the early 1930s. As far as I can tell, there were eight of these. I have found five. Portions of some of them were edited into the 1946 feature, Road to Hollywood. For the complete versions, Kino released a DVD titled Hollywood Rhythm Vol. 2 that contained Dream House (1932) and Blue of the Night (1933). A company called Master Classics also released a CD/DVD combo called The Centennial Anthology, which contained Billboard Girl (1932), I Surrender, Dear (1931), Sing, Bing, Sing (1933), and again Blue Of The Night (1933).

Totally missing in complete form are the shorts: One More Chance (1931), Please (1933), and
Just an Echo (1934). Some sources I have seen suggest that the final two shorts were produced by Paramount. Does anyone know where these might be found?
I'm no expert on Bing Crosby but I do have the book The Films of Bing Crosby by Robert Bookbinder (1977). Don't know how inaccurate or outdated the info is but there are some discrepancies, e.g, all the shorts in the book mentioned here are listed as (1931). "One More Chance" is listed as "Just One More Chance." "Please" and "Just an Echo" are not listed at all but there is one listed as "Bring on Bing (Mack Sennett-Paramount, 1931)."
Is it possible "Bring on Bing" was retitled as either "Please" or "Just an Echo" or is it an additional short?
Yes, I know the book has info that's 40+ years old. Even the author states that the list has been assembled from limited data and that it is hoped that it is complete and accurate. Just wanted to update the book if possible.

Reactions: JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm no expert on Bing Crosby but I do have the book The Films of Bing Crosby by Robert Bookbinder (1977). Don't know how inaccurate or outdated the info is but there are some discrepancies, e.g, all the shorts in the book mentioned here are listed as (1931). "One More Chance" is listed as "Just One More Chance." "Please" and "Just an Echo" are not listed at all but there is one listed as "Bring on Bing (Mack Sennett-Paramount, 1931)."
Is it possible "Bring on Bing" was retitled as either "Please" or "Just an Echo" or is it an additional short?
Yes, I know the book has info that's 40+ years old. Even the author states that the list has been assembled from limited data and that it is hoped that it is complete and accurate. Just wanted to update the book if possible.
Please and Just an Echo were both Paramount shorts after Bing completed his Mack Sennett deal. I don't think that there were any joint Mack Sennett productions, so I don't know what Bring on Bing is, but heck, I've learned a lot about this area since my original post SEVEN years ago.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There was an LP release of the sound tracks of the Mack Sennett shorts which I bought about 45 years ago and later converted to CD. I assume the films must have existed at that time.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro