Binding Post Vs. Bananna Plug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllenLC, Mar 20, 2003.

1. AllenLC

AllenLC Agent

I have an OnkyoTX-SR800 and I have the choice of binding or plugging the speakers in.
    I asked an audio shop rep about it and he said he would bind because the plugs would corrode eventually. Hmm? I said they are gold plated. He said they will still corrode over time. I don't know guys. I never seen gold corrode.
    So can I get some input on the 2 choices. Corrosion aside, what are your thoughts between the 2?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

For a receiver I always prefer using banana plugs for ease and convenience.

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Your audio shop rep = idiot. In your lifetime gold won't corrode. Ever seen a gold corroded wedding ring, necklace, etc.? There's a TINY chance he may have been talking about the copper wire that you attach to the banana plugs, but I doubt it from your story.

I use banana plugs for convenience, as do most people who use them. In my opinion, bare wire, banana plugs, spades all are the same.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The exposed copper wire will oxidize (turn dull brown) in a year or two. This is a problem for both plugs and bare-wire connections. Banana plugs should never oxidize or corrode unless you have moisture issues as well. (This could be the salesmans experience).

Advice: Plan on performing a "HT Cleaning" every 2 years. This involves un-plugging everything (even power cords) and cutting off the ends of all speaker wires, stripping and re-attaching. Since banana plugs make this a lot easier (and it's much safer since you dont have tiny strands of copper sticking out), go with the plugs.

I like the Radio Shack dual plugs (xxx-308) for behind the speakers. But if these stick out too far for behind your the receiver, use the single bananas (xxx-306).

Also: I highly recommend putting the receiver/amp on the lowest possible shelf. This allows all the speaker wires to flow out with minimal drop/weight and natrually keeps them away from the other components and wires. Pull the power cords to one side and bind loosly with velcro or split-tubing (see Radio Shack as well). Let the interconnects dangle down the middle or loosly bundle like the power cords.

Good Luck.