What's new

Billy Wilder dies (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll fourth that as well. While sitting around in a Joseph Beth's Book store, I happened upon that book and one about David Lean.

And to think, I've just discovered Billy Wilder's work.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Today marks the passing of my favorite all-time director. He was a terrific writer as well. It's very sad to see this chapter in Hollywood history come to an end. RIP Billy Wilder.

Rob

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I just watch Sabrina for the first time last weekend and thought it was awesome. I was just thinking afterwards what a great director he was since everything I've seen of his was wonderful.

Brad Eisenhauer

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not very familiar with most of his owrk, but I've always really liked Stalag 17. Perhaps I shall have to make an effort to see some more of his work.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Wow, this is wierd. I just got done watching Ninotchka 30 minutes ago. When I saw his name in the opening credits as one of the screenwriters, I was thinking of how old he is, and because of yesterday's two celebrity deaths, how he might die soon.

~T

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of the all time greats, really sad news.
'Some Like it Hot' has always been one of my very favorite movies, I'll watch it again this weekend as a tribute.
RIP Billy.:frowning:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This news depresses me greatly. I've been a huge Wilder fan for 5+ years and have seen most of his films multiple times. He's personally responsible for at least 5 of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. He was in my opinion the best screenwriter to ever live and there's no sign of anyone in Hollywood that even comes close to his talent. It's weird, but I've read 3 books on the man and I just took another one off the shelf on Wednesday and was starting to read it.

I've just started my tribute marathon with "Witness for the Prosecution" and will probably watch "Sabrina" next and possibly "Private Life of Sherlock Holmes".

I hope the studios get around to releasing the remainder of his films soon and give them their proper due and not just to make money off of his death. Where are the collector's edtions of "Sunset Boulevard" & "Double Indemnity"? Where is "Ace in the Hole" at all? This is one of the best films that I've ever seen and it's not available in any format.

I've got a tear in my beer for you Billy.

R.I.P.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
A sad couple of days indeed, Milton Berle certainly was a giant in the TV arena, and Billy Wilder, an all time great film maker, along with Dudly Moore, an Oxford grad that may not be as big as the other two here, but was well loved by the Brits.

I don't remember exactly when Jack Lemon passed away, but it seemed it wasn't all that long ago. Reminds me of the great Toshiro Mifune and Akira Kurosawa, both passed away within one year, even though they have not made any movies together for 30 years.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
He's a top 5 personal fav director for me too.
Hitch
Carpenter
Kubrick
Wilder
Scorsese
This is reflected by the number of Wilder DVDs I already own and the ones I will be buying when they come out.
You know that while it's sad he was older and unlike so many artists he was appreciated in his time. We were lucky enough that Crowe did his book when he did, rather than hearing about how he wished he had before he died.
He got to show the world all that he could do with film, and the world got to tell him that they loved it. I think that's actually about as happy an ending as Billy could have wanted.
Here's to you Billy, you did good. Cheers. :):emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I hate to even say this, but yesterday, when I found out that Milton Berle died (a day after It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World aired on TCM), I wondered if Billy Wilder would be next.

I'm going to watch Some Like It Hot this weekend.

West

Auditioning
My first-ever post to the Fabulous Forum, and it's about the passing of one of my heroes. Drat.
I agree with those who recommend "Conversations With Wilder"; it's an outstanding addition to any film lover's bookshelf. If you're looking for a biography, "On Sunset Boulevard" by Ed Sikov was very good.
I certainly hope that more Wilder films will be released on DVD soon. I still have "One Two Three" on laserdisc; if you haven't seen it, it is a flat-out scream. James Cagney must have set some kind of land speed record with his line delivery.
By a curious coincidence, the Alex Film Society (in Glendale, CA) recently announced that "Witness For The Prosecution", with Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich and Tyrone Power, will be screened at the Alex Theatre on Saturday, April 13, at 2PM and 8PM. There may be more information on the AFS website: http://www.AlexFilmSociety.org I will definitely be there. If you're in the Glendale area, why not help pack the house and pay tribute to the master where tribute should best be paid?
I have to get up early in the morning, but I'm not hitting the hay until I see William Holden bitch-slap the bad guy in "Stalag 17" again.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
What a great way to start my "Good" Friday :frowning:
If you believe in that sort of thing, he'll be taken care of, still he'll be missed.
RIP sir.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Crawdaddy,

Thanks for the in-depth capsule of his life.

I suppose it's true -- Hollywood legends do

die in groups of 3.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I still have "One Two Three" on laserdisc; if you haven't seen it, it is a flat-out scream. James Cagney must have set some kind of land speed record with his line delivery.
Breaking the records previously held by Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson from Wilder's "Double Indemnity". :)
Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ah yes, "One, Two, Three" one of my favorite all-time comedies. Cagney gave such a great comedic performance, it's hard to believe that was his last film until "Ragtime" in 1981.

Crawdaddy

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
It's interesting that I had ordered the DVD of The Apartment and it came in the mail yesterday. I just got done watching it. One of my all time favorites.

We'll miss you Billy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks