Billy Wilder Collection (Paramount)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Peterson, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

The Digital Bits announced last month that Paramount was planning a Billy Wilder boxset that would include a new SE of Stalag 17 along with Sabrina & Sunset Boulevard. It was not made clear if these would be new editions, and no more details are yet available. Paramount owns four Wilder titles - these three plus his somewhat-forgotten masterpiece "Ace in the Hole". This title was rumored for a release last fall and then pulled.

This is one of Wilder's least seen films and thus least known films, but it is a critical darling (at least recently). When critics discuss Wilder's films, this one almost always gets mentioned along with "Double Indemnity", "Sunset Boulevard", "Some Like It Hot", & "The Apartment", yet Paramount seems to be clueless.

I was just searching Amazon and found the new edition of Stalag 17 which is slated for a March 21st release. I then hunted for the boxset and it is also listed for March 21st, but it has absolutely no details.

You would probably have a hard time finding someone who is a bigger Wilder fan than myself, but if Paramount decides to release this boxset (For the second time) without including the fourth title that rightly belongs, then I'm going to be madder than a hornet. Of all the films yet to be released, this is the only title that I consider a "MUST HAVE".

Does anybody have any word on what this box will include? It is barely two months off, and for zero details to be released makes me very nervous.

No "Ace in the Hole" = "No Buy"

Please, Please, Please, Pretty Please Paramount!!!!!

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

All the details are up at DVDTimes. Sorry, Eric, looks like no "Ace in the Hole" in this collection.

The Stalag 17 disc is a new SE, with full details at that link. The Sunset Boulevard and Sabrina discs are the same as the existing versions.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

What lazy crap![​IMG]

They even used the same box art.[​IMG]

Count me out on this, and every Paramount release until they get their shit together. I purchased several titles last year with an intention of showing good will, but from now on, I will pass on all Paramount releases.

4. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

The thing is, Paramount just released a box set with Sunset Boulevard SE, Sabrina, and the non-special edition of Stalag 17 last September. So if they do get around to releasing Ace in the Hole this year, you can probably bet that they'll release a third box set with all four films. Then they can do a special edition of Sabrina and make a fourth set.