What's new

Billy Joel SACD's Question (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Are there both a multi-channel/stereo versions of The Stranger and 52nd St.?? And to those who own the mc versions, how are they?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Both The Stranger and 52nd Street were originally released in stereo only and have since been re-released as stereo/multichannel discs. Watch out when shopping at Best Buy as I have still seen the stereo only discs on the shelf.

I only own the multichannel The Stranger and after hearing the multichannel mix, I still go back and listen to the stereo track. This is not to say the multichannel track is terrible, just not one that adds a new dimension to the music like some others out there. To my ears, The Stranger SACD only offers a modest improvement over the most recent CD remaster which I also own. If you are a Joel fan, the purchase is a no brainer, but if you are only a casual fan with no desire to hear multichannel, the remastered CD will probably suit you well (of course if you don't own the CD, get the SACD by all means).

J

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I think "The Stranger" M/C sounds great! :emoji_thumbsup:

"Just The Way You Are" in surround is wonderful, and made me realize just how much better the original is over the Diana Krall cover version.

Sorry, I have to disagree with Justin on this one.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Are there any other Billy Joel SACDs? I'd be most interested in Turnstiles, The Nylon Curtain and An Innocent Man...

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo,

There are I believe 2 other Billy Joel SACDs;

Fantasies and Delusions and

An Innocent Man

these were both available at Towerrecords website.

Enjoy

NP: Public Enemy It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
She's Always A Woman is one of the most impressive surround presentations out there---if you don't have a good center speaker you'll lose a lot with the 2 Billy SACDs, because many of the lead vocals are center only (and sound phenomenal). The Stereo is not a HUGE improvement, but the surround IS. My only complaint is the losing of the beneath tray artwork on these (and all other single Columbia), SACDs.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I'll definitely try to find An Innocent Man. I can live w/ the Turnstiles remaster, which sounds great to me. Has Songs from the Attic been remastered as well? I always thought that the original recording was rather good. It would be amazing to have an expanded edition of this album, with more live stuff from that era. I think his other live recordings are awful.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am not a multi-channel fan in general, but the multi-channel mix on The Stranger is pretty good. I still prefer the stereo track in terms of presentation, though the stereo track is not significantly better than the remastered CD.

The stereo track on 52nd Street is also good, but again, is not significantly better than the remastered CD. I don't have the multi-channel SACD of this one, so I can't comment on the presentation of this track.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Al. Just The Way You Are M/C is excellent!!

This is also the longer version of the song, as opposed to the one on BJ's Greatest Hits I think (I may be wrong).

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks