What's new

Billy Budd (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Anything new on a possible Blu release of Billy Budd? According to the theatrical poster Warner Bros. made this one. Don't know if they still have the rights.

B.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It was an Allied Artists production (probably that studio's finest film, along with THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING) / shot in 2.35:1 black and white / was one of only a handful of films directed by Peter Ustinov, starred the director, Terence Stamp, Melvyn Douglas and Robert Ryan / was quite faithful to its source (the posthumously published novel by Herman (Moby Dick) Melville. It's a rich and powerful story that serves as an indictment of inflexible British Royal Navy protocol during the late eighteenth century. This film is superb. While the Warner Bros. DVD is good, BILLY BUDD would of course shine on Blu, and as I am a staunch admirer of this film (having first seen it at the Pix Theater in White Plains at age 12), I would heartily encourage Warner Bros to add this to their Archives collection, which is really sailing right along now, pardon the bad pun. ;)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
It was an Allied Artists production (probably that studio's finest film, ...

Not to disparage quality productions like BILLY BUDD or THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, but I would argue that CABARET might be Allied Artists' finest film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not to disparage quality productions like BILLY BUDD or THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, but I would argue that CABARET might be Allied Artists' finest film.
Point well taken. CABARET is also one of AA best productions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeppelinDude93
Recent bookmarks