BILLY BUDD, Please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I saw this when I was twelve at the now-defunct PIX Theater in White Plains, NY and was fascinated by it. It has only been released to VHS, and terribly cropped from its 2.35:1 image. Directed by (and starring) Peter Ustinov along with an angelic Terence Stamp as Budd and Robert Ryan as evil personified Captain Clegg. Dynamite seagoing adventure based on Melville. Way-y-y underseen these days (except a rare showing on TCM). Don't know who owns the rights (it was released theatrically, then at first on video, by Allied Artists, then by Key, which was Fox then), but PLEASE make this available on DVD!

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Another great film that I've been dying to see released on DVD. I'll keep crossing my fingers.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Allied Artists became part of Lorimar, which ended up with Warner. It's either Fox or Warner then.

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Indeed, it is Warner Bros.

Under normal circumstances, I would say don't hold your breath. However, if some of the other literary adaptations they have just issued on DVD, like THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE, do well, maybe they will bump this up. It's definitely one of Terence Stamp's finest performances.

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    This was shown recently in New York and I'm still sad that I missed it. BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) Cinematheque certainly showed it as part of a mini-Stamp retrospective along with The Collector and The Limey. I think that Film Forum might have had the print for a week as well. Oh well.

Let's see Warner see to it that Billy Budd gets a decent DVD release soon.

Jon