Billy Bob Thornton in Tombstone . . . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Can you believe that's really him! Amazing!! The guy is . . . . .plump!

2. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

He was pretty big in Sling Blade too. But since then the guy has been as thin as a rail. In Pushing Tin I thought he looked almost sickly thin.

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"You're gonna do something or just stand there and bleed? Huh, Sling Blade?" [​IMG]

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

This doesn't really have anything to do with Software, folks. Moving it to "movies"... I still need to see Tombstone for what it's worth. [​IMG]
    Dan

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Even though his part in tombstone was small, it shows you what an excellent actor Thornton is and how he can play so many different roles.

Dan, you don't know what you're missing by not watching Tombstone!

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I have suspected drug use with Jolie as the cause for the sudden weight loss.

But that's just personal speculation based only on seeing the effects on other people (dropping weight fast) and their "unusual" relationship.

Maybe she had him join her at the gym everyday, who knows?

But he is VERY thin now compared even to Sling Blade days.

7. Rod Melotte

Ever since I saw Bandits I have become a huge Billy Bob fan. Now I've seen him on a few talk shows and interviews and the guy is a pretty darn likable guy and I can see what Jolie see's in him. They make a great pair.

I would bet that he is anti-drug (hard drugs).

Tombstone is a great great Western and the Special Features are a must see. A good true story!

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I was doing some computer upgrades late at night this weekend. I had the TV on to keep me company while I was waiting for software to load and the only thing on was the 1994 Steven Seagal stinker "On Deadly Ground." This is the one where Seagal protects the Alaskan wilderness from Michael Caine by blowing up an oil refinery.

Imagine my surprise to see Billy Bob as one of Caine's henchman, a guy named Homer. The voice was more recognizable than the face. Thornton had more hair and a dark beard. He was heavier than he is now, but not what you could really call overweight.

I was amazed at how funny he was in such a small part. It really felt like they let him ablib a lot of his performance. He was by far the most (the only[/]) entertaining part of the movie.

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

As I recall, the "stock in or stock out" stuff was the only entertaining thing about On Deadly Ground. Not counting grade-Z stuff, that is the worst movie I have ever seen. Even the matte paintings look amateurish.

I thought Billy Bob lost a bunch of weight while he was still engaged to Laura Dern. Of course, he could have been stepping out with Angelina at the time, but I certainly have no evidence, and don't read the tabloids. All I remember was seeing him suddenly thin....

//Ken

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yup it's a great small role for him. I didn't recognize it was him until I recently rewatched the film (when the Vista Vision DVD came out). I was like, "is that who I think it is?" and the room full of people watching with me all said "it's Billy Bob!" Guess I wasn't the only one. [​IMG]

11. Hector de leon

Billy Bob, the man, full of suprises. I too was suprised to see Billy on "Blood In Blood Out". I was like "what the hell is going on, is that...it isss.
    [​IMG]

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I rewatched Tombstone a few weeks ago (I still don't see why people think it's good) and was surprised to see him too.

I don't think he lost of because of drugs or his relationship with Jolie. He began to appear thin while he was with Laura Dern as Ken mentioned.

~T

13. Kevin J Willis

Kevin J Willis Stunt Coordinator

believe it or not, I thought I read somewhere that he had some sort of an eating disorder. Can anybody recall seeing a story on this?

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Here's my theory on the matter: it's because of his relationship with Angelina Jolie that Billy Bob Thorton is as thin as he is.
    What's my evidence? Vague memories man, vague memories. During the making of Tomb Raider, I read an article somewhere about Jolie (okay, I'm lying, I'm looking at the pictorials, but what heterosexual man wouldn't?). Anyways, she made a comment about how she stays in great shape.
    Vigorous sex with her husband. And guessing from the look on Angelina's face, every nights like a marathon for Billy Bob Thorton. [​IMG]

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

As I indicated, the drug thing was only speculation based on vague circumstances made more suspicious by them being a Hollywood couple.
    Which is why I added that it's just as likely to be some other lifestyle change.
    I would believe either the eating disorder, lifestyle with Dern, or lifestyle with Jolie (sex, gym, whatever).
    Without a doubt though, something happened that made his weight drop rather quickly which gives him a very different look/character to me. This certainly adds to the "surprise" when coming across an older film with him in it. [​IMG]
    Maybe Bob could pass the hints on to me. I could lose about 20 myself. [​IMG] I would be more than happy to take up the "sex with Jolie" plan if necessary. [​IMG]

16. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

17. Rod Melotte

Here's the scoop on Billys weight loss.

------------------------------------

A Hollywood star is fessing up to dropping too much weight--and for a twist, it's not Calista Flockhart or any other prime-time Popsicle stick. It's good ol' boy Billy Bob Thornton.

The Sling Blade Oscar-winner and now-ubiquitous movie character actor tells the Los Angeles Daily News that he "got anorexic" in a conscious bid to trim down (way down) for an upcoming movie.

"Frankly, for a while there, I think I had a little mental problem," Thornton tells the newspaper. "I got anorexic; of course, I denied it to my girlfriend [Laura Dern] and everyone else who said I had an eating disorder."

The actor says his weight fell 59 pounds--from 197 during the shoot for Oliver Stone's U-Turn, to 138 for Pushing Tin, a not-yet-released black comedy about air-traffic controllers.

"That was by design," Thornton says, in the newspaper. "But I had a few articles come out--'What's the deal with him? Is he sick?'"

Nope, he says. "I just got too skinny," he says.

Thornton, 43, says today he's a healthy 160 (doesn't drink, doesn't eat dairy products, only smokes American Spirit cigarettes). He doesn't elaborate on how he started putting back on the poundage. His publicist today called the weight-loss angle a "non-story."

A slimmed-down version of the actor currently can be seen on screen in the Fargo-esque drama A Simple Plan. Last weekend, the role brought him honors as best supporting actor from both the Los Angeles and Boston critics.

Thornton won his Oscar in 1997 for writing Sling Blade. He also starred in and directed the movie.