Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Features

Discussion in 'DVD' started by seanOhara, Jul 2, 2005.

1. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

I had a nice treat waiting for me when I got home yesterday -- the new Bill and Ted boxset had arrived early.

I assume most people know what the movies are about: a couple stoner[1] metal-heads travel through time, heaven, and hell having adventures. For the movies in which Keanu Reeves first uttered the word "Whoa!" the stories are surprisingly well written, referencing everything from Blue Oyster Cult to Bergman.

The set consists of three discs -- two for the movies and one containing the special features. The movies are the same bare-bones discs currently available at Best Buy, so if you already own the films you're not only facing a double-dip, but a double-dip in which you'll end up with the same exact discs. (Luckily I never got around to upgrading my old VHS copies until now.)

The movies look and sound good, though I noticed an occasional scratch on Excellent Adventure.

But of course the real selling point for this set is the bonus disc. Unfortunately it's a mixed bag.

The Original Bill and Ted: In Conversation with Screenwriters Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon - The writers of the films discuss how Bill and Ted went from a short skit in their stand-up act to the films we know today. There's a lot of neat tid-bits here, like the fact that there was originally a third member of the team named Bob, and that Rufus was originally a 28 year old high school sophomore with a time traveling van. The segment mixes witty and informative banter in the same way Kevin Smith and Futurama commentaries do -- in fact, after watching it, I wish these guys had done commentaries for the film.

The Most Triumphant Making of Documentary - Your standard 30 minute documentary on the making of the films. A bit breezy (Couldn't they've done one for each film?) but it covers most of the bases. However, there's one glaring deficiency -- the only actor involved is Alex "The Other One" Winter (who points out that he hasn't been in a film for ten years). Okay, I can understand why Keanu might not be available, but what about George Carlin? William Sadler? Bill and Ted's families? The historical personages? It's not like the chick who played Joan of Arc or the dude who played Billy the Kid are doing anything now.

Hysterical Personages: Biographies of Nine Historical Dudes and One Babe Dressed as a Dude - A faux-Mr. Moviephone narrator recites some facts about various characters from the movies, punctuated by "Bodacious!" and "Most Excellent!" It might be funny if you were stoned, but otherwise just skip it.

The Premiere Episode of Bill and Ted Excellent Adventures Cartoon series - Please, God, make it stop! There's about five minutes of good writing in the episode, but it's drowned by early-90's sub-Filmation Saturday morning animation. Just the theme song is enough to make you want to gouge your eardrums with a Q-tip.

Score! An Interview with Steve Vai - Steve Vai, who composed some of the music for Bogus Journey, discusses his work on the film ... though only after talking about his work with Frank Zappa and how he got into movies. Rather meandering, and frankly Steve Vai isn't that interesting. Maybe if they'd interviewed that dude from Faith No More ....

Air Guitar Tutorial with Bjorn Turoque and The Rockness Monsters - Two of the leading air-guitarists in the world discuss their philosophy and technique. Even after watching it, I'm not sure whether it's for real (but tongue in cheek) or just tongue in cheek. They belabor the joke a bit in the middle, but on the whole it's a fun watch.

From Scribble to Script - Various notes, outlines, etc. You've seen a million of these by now, you know what to expect.

The Linguistic Stylings of Bill and Ted - Clips from the film with subtitles explaining what words like "bogus" and "station" mean. Since most of the words are pretty obvious, and except for "station" the definitions aren't funny, this is only interesting as a clipshow.

Radio Spots - Since the regular trailers are featured on the movie discs, there's no sense repeating them here. Which is why they dug up some old radio ads instead. They range from amusing to I-want-to-change-the-station-oh-wait-this-is-a-DVD.

Bottom line: This is a good deal for anyone who doesn't already own the individual movies, but if you already have them, just wait for the 20th Anniversary Blu-Ray edition in 2008.

[1] Bill and Ted don't smoke anything in the movie or even joke about drugs or munchies, but they sure act like stoners. If they aren't, then there's something egregiously wrong with the water in San Dimas.

2. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Sean, does the special features disc come in its own keepcase with artwork etc, where it may be popping up on eBay for those of us who already own the movies? Thanks.

3. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I can't wait to get this. I sold off the DVDs I already had on eBay last week so it won't come out to be such a bad deal for me.

Too bad about Keanu, though, but I'll take what I can get.

4. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I own both current discs, and won't be upgrading for this set. If there had been a remastered new transfer (the transfers on the old ones are good, its the film stock that shows flaws IMO) and/or commentary from Winter/Reaves or the writer/director, I'd be sold....otherwise, it isn't worth it to me. I'd trade all the other features for a remastered transfer and good commentary.

The Bill and Ted movies are great fun and I'll continue to revisit them every so often regardless.

5. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Scott,

Each disc comes in a separate case, packaged in a cardboard slipcase with a cardboard sleeve over it.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The "chick" who played Joan Of Arc was actually Jane Wiedlin who was the guitarist in the Go-Gos and had a top 10 solo hit. She was #76 on VH1's Greatest Women of Rock N Roll, appeared in the surreal life, I saw her perform solo just last year and the Go-Gos are on US tour as we speak.

She also does a ton of cartoon voice work.

So, I'd say mybe she is doing something now. [​IMG]

7. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

where are the deleted scenes ?

no prom scene no sale

8. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Thanks, Sean. I'll look for the bonus disc on eBay, then.

9. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

My copy of the first movie had sound problems during the school auditorium ending. Was it just my copy, or was there copyright issues? "Beet"-oven went silent everytime he played the electric keys. not just the auditorium but also in the scene where he plays in the mall.

If this is an issue, was it corrected on this set?

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Well, she wasn't "the" guitarist -- she was just the more visible of the two. [​IMG] (Kinda like Pearl Jam -- the rhythm player was much better known than the lead player.)

Too bad they just repackaged the existing discs with what sounds like a mediocre extra disc. I'll wait for the Blu-Ray to upgrade.

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I just opened my Bill & Ted's box and I noticed a 555 number on the top. How's my Time Travelin'? or something like that. The number is 1-800-555-6969

Color me stupid, but I've never tried calling a 555 number. I guess it's something everybody tries once in their life? You always see and hear them in movies and I was curious what would happen if I try one, so I tried it.

and...

[​IMG]

not the test tone I expected.

BTW, the bonus disc looks great. Only regrets: same packaging and no commentaries on the two films, no deleted scenes, and Shame on you, Keanu!

Happy Alex Winter day.

12. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

In my day it used to get you directory assistance. Apparently no longer!

-paul

13. andrew markworthy

What prom scene?

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

the '555' prefix rule doesn't apply to 800 numbers. 1-800-555 is a valid prefix, it just in non-toll free area codes that 555 is a reserved exchange.

-V

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The number for Tell Me is 1-800-555-TELL.

16. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I don't have the original discs so I'll be picking this up.

17. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

I was a little disappointed to see it was the original discs with a bonus disc, but on the bright side I didn't own the original discs either. That makes me happy.

Of course the extras aren't the greatest either, but there are lots of them.

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Sound off if you're boxset came with a hole cut out where the UPC code should have been...

19. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael

(a sex line)

According to davisdvd.com, the box set is now being recalled for this very reason.

If only they had someone like Vince at Quality Control there.

20. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

Does this mean that those of us with the original set before the recall might have something of a collector's item? Are the new sets going to have different UPCs?