What's new

Bill Gates: Philanthropist (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Gates Aims Billions to Attack Illnesses of World's Neediest

Free registration to NY Times needed to read the article.

I've known about Gates' philanthropy efforts for several years now. Color me very impressed with the results so far...his foundation has made very smart decisions, preferring to go after the less sexy research avenues (mosquitos, infrastructure, etc.) and organisations. I wonder if he has read "Parasite Rex"? His decisions remind me of "back to basics" regarding global health.

Forget Microsoft...his philanthropy will eclipse it soon enough, like it has already eclipsed all the big donors of the past.

"It seems to me — and I've been following his work — that this is a guy with a vision," said Michael Bailin, president of the Edna Clark McConnell Foundation. "He's willing to put his money out there and make some big but good gambles on some of the most important issues there are."
The three page article places credit on Bill Gates' alone, but I really think that his wife, Melinda, really deserves the credit. I mean, how many single, unattached guys make donations? :)

Either way, it's a very interesting read.

John Watson

Screenwriter
The subject interests me.

Frankly, I have long considered Gates among the least public-spirited of the super-rich.

I am under the impression that he is far from approaching the status of a Rockefeller, or a Soros, whether it is the amount of money, or the quality of his thinking on such issues.

BTW, I think improving PC operating systems so they are not klutzy and unreliable, and gateways to crime, spam, and general babble, would be a great contribution to humanity's welfare.

Damn, I may finally have to register with The NY Times.

:)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Frankly, I have long considered Gates among the least public-spirited of the super-rich.

Which is odd, considering he's probably donated more money to charity than any other person.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I was under the impression he'd been funding the provision of computers to "economically deprived" people (or whatever term is applied.)

The lack of computers and associated skills has almost nothing to do with the real poverty in the world.

And I am not aware of his thinking questioning the issues of monopolistic corporations, and distortions in social values congruent with their hegemony.

Hence my jaundiced view.

I will sign up for the article!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
When he gives it ALL away, then I'll be impressed.
On multiple occasions, Bill has pledged to do almost exactly that before he dies - he doesn't want his children to inherit huge sums of money from him, so the plan is to giveaway almost all of his fortune to his foundation and other charities over his lifetime I believe.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This is what the Packard family did. I went to college with Julie Packard, who was a pretty down-to-earth person. IIRC the family wanted the kids to stand on their own two feet. All they were supplied with was the opportunity. Julie wanted to run an aquarium when she grew up, so after getting her degrees in marine biology the Packards built Monterrey Bay Aquarium for her to run. She makes her own money and I suppose could be bounced if she screwed up royally.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm really surprised by this information. Good for Bill!
:emoji_thumbsup:

I'll have to register and read the entire article.

Don Black

Screenwriter
The Gates Foundation is well known in non-profit circles for very precise demands for performance. Unlike most non-profits, that distribute the money and hope for the best. the Gates Foundation takes an extremely hands-on approach to its investments and carefully monitors the results. Those that underperform don't get more money. It's a very mercenary form of running a charity and it works incredibly well. The success achieved by the organization is amazing. I'm hoping they try to tackle a major disease one of these days. I'll forgive Bill for the blue screen of death if he wipes out cancer! :D

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Like I'm the only one. :frowning: I can honestly say, that after paying all my bills this month, without selling my house, car, or HT rig, I have no money left at the end of most months. If you want me to roll up my pennies that are in the spare change jar I will, but could you please send me some rollers?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
any philanthropic act deserves praise. doesn't matter who it is or how much.

i'm glad to see him donating his money to (what he feels is) a good cause. i didn't realize he's spent six billion so far. that's just way cool.

i also heard he plans on giving away most of his money when he passes on.

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
It's great that Gates is giving away some money, but I am not impressed at all. Since 1995, Gates has donated approximately $800 million. But, a major portion of these donations encompasses free software donated to schools. While this does help the schools, a major side effect is the spread of his Microsoft monopoly. In addition, Gates is worth something like $34 to $55 billion (depending on where the market prices close). Giving away $800 million over 8 years comes to $100 million a year. Assuming a low number of net worth ($34 billion), Gates gives away money at a rate of 1:34000 (charity to net worth). Considering an average American of modest net worth ($70,000), they must give a little over $2.00 a year using Gates' donation ratio. Granted, using exact numbers considering Gates' incredible wealth is never perfect. But, the point remains the same. Considering his giant wealth, Gates needs to improve mightily upon his philanthropic donating.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
justin1 -

according to the article, he's given away over 6 billion dollars in under four years - seems pretty decent to me. where do you get 800 million from? if he's worth 55 billion, then what percentage of his wealth is that? it's certainly more 1:34000.

regardless, he doesn't have to give away a single penny if he doesn't want to. 800 million is better than nothing. sure, some of it may go towards self-promotion, but who cares. the schools still benefit...isn't that a good thing?

i think you're being wayyy too harsh on the guy.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Considering his giant wealth, Gates needs to improve mightily upon his philanthropic donating.
Anti-Gates sentiment runs rampant again. Until you post here what YOU donate and its proportion to your net income, I will not see where you are coming from with the above statement.

To the Gates family, keep up the good work.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Hmmm. I've finally read it.

In a world of woe : disease, unemployment, and many corrupt kleptocratic governments - more lives saved by bio-engineering (eliminating malaria?) could be a double-edged sword.

What the wretched of the earth really need is productive, morale enhancing work.

Billionaires do not often show great interest in what might enhance their opportunity to enjoy that.

I mentioned George Soros earlier because he does want to deal with the structural issues involved in the poverty and backwardness that prevails in many parts of the world. Ralph Nader tried to discuss this with Mr Gates, apparently unsuccessfully. I understand Mr Gates has attended Davos Forum meetings in recent years, and maybe he needs some time to gain understanding, but so far, he seems to me to be an immensely rich geek with naive faith in technology for THE WAY AHEAD.

Finally, for all those who still assume Bill Gates is an innocent and well meaning individual, and particularly admirable, try a Google Search on "Foundations and Tax Avoidance".

That said, it is perhaps good to see that Mr Gates wants to leave some legacy other than Windoze :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i must be in an irritable mood today, cuz i'm defending stuff i normally wouldn't give more than a few posts thoughts too....
Finally, for all those who still assume Bill Gates is an innocent and well meaning individual, and particularly admirable, try a Google Search on "Foundations and Tax Avoidance".
again, so what? he gets a tax break, schools get pc's. what's the problem here? it sorta sounds like a win-win situation to me.

taking this down to it's lowest common demoninator...at least bill gates is giving his own money to some cause. he should be applauded for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks