What's new

Bill Cosby: Himself - 8/10 (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
which is the 'original'? Was it intended purely for television or dual-venu like TV and film/theater?

It was WAAAY before HD so I know it couldn't have anticipate that...

Matt_P

Second Unit
I compared the widescreen and fullscreen transfers during my review. The 1.85:1 anamorphic image clearly contains more picture information on the sides and is not a vertically cropped 1.37:1. This may have been a dual venue title, but I'm not certain. It seems clear the camera operators were composing for the 1.85:1 ratio.

Thanks for the compliment, DaViD!

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry, I did not mean to say that the widescreen version was cropped but that it simply was not the correct aspect ratio. It probably does have more information on the sides which means that although it was shot in widescreen it was intended for 1.37:1, similar to how 1.85 films will be shot in open matte but are intended for 1.85. Head over to the TV Shows on DVD forum here and read the Wonderfalls thread in which the OAR is 1.33:1 but Fox is releasing it in widescreen by simply using the extended sides.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Zachary: Do you have anything to substantiate the fact that the OAR for Bill Cosby: Himself is the cropped 1.37:1?

Wonderfalls is a different situation.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Good question, Adam. I see what you're saying Zachary, but what determines the true OAR in this case? It was clearly shot 1.85:1, so should this be considered the OAR, or the modified TV ratio, for which you say it was "intended" for?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It would seem to make sense, but it's not a 100% certainty...

after all, open-matte film presentaions show more vertical picture information than than the WS...but that doesn't mean they are OAR...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But again, it depends on what it was intended for.

This is another case of "What does OAR REALLY mean?"

When you talk about "original", what does that entail? If it was shot for the movies, but never made it to the movies and was cropped for TV, does that make the 1.33:1 the OAR? In this case, the 16x9 version would be the "Intended Aspect Ratio", but is it still considered the "Original"???

AHHHH!!!!????? :D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Well it's pretty improbable! I have never heard of a case where a hard-matted widescreen transfer is incorrect, and a pan & scan transfer is correct. It's just not logical.

Were they thinking, "Well maybe one day this movie will be shown at theaters, but we will sacrifce the OAR and let theaters show a little more info on the sides? Or were they forward thinking enough that they would think to protect for future widescreen TV's?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

We're not talking about a TV show shot in the past few years because a studio wants to future-proof their library for when 16x9 displays become dominant. It's a 1983 stand-up comedy film.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Tvshowsondvd indicates it was given a theatrical release. IMDB agrees (although they can be unreliable).

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

TV Shows on DVD is an excellent resource, but it's not a definitive one, and they may have been fed bad information or be making an inaccurate assumption.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
After looking at the disc, it seems that this was probably shot with both ratios in mind. You don't really miss that much in the full-frame version, but the widescreen version clearly reveals more picture information on the sides. It was indeed given a theatrical release. IMDB also lists the OAR as 1.37:1, but that would seem to indicate open-matte (and as others have stated, IMDB is not always reliable on this kind of thing). If the panned-and-scanned version is the "intended ratio," then OAR should be listed as 1.33:1; a slight difference, to be sure, but there is that slight difference between a full open-matte ratio, and the standard TV ratio.

If this thing was hard-matted and intended for theatrical release, I think it's a good bet that the intended ratio is 1.85:1. Did anyone happen to catch this on its initial release, or maybe at a theatrical showing since?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I saw Bill Cosby: Himself during its original theatrical release. So while I know next to nothing about its original aspect ratio, I can confirm that it was indeed a theatrical release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks