What's new

bikers (1 Viewer)

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
I just signed the paperwork on my first bike--

2001 triumph TT600. who else out there rides? and what?

pics if you have em....

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
congrats on the new ride!
I ride a '99 R1 pics are at
www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/r1.html
it's currently up for sale though :frowning: insurance is killing me.
TT600 is a lot of bike for a beginner, have you already taken or signed up for the MSF rider course?
www.msf-usa.org
I'd highly reccomend checking it out before you start, I'm pretty sure the classes are available in Canada also, but I dunno the URL :frowning:

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I rode for 25 years, the last bike being a classic Triumph.... a Trident. I'd love to have one of the new Triumphs.....

Being a little older now, I'm not as "unbreakable" so I quit riding both road and dirt bikes. I love to get my old pics out and drool and think about the old days..... you know, the old man's disease.......

Be careful out there with your new toy and you too will build some lifelong memories cause there just isn't anything like a good bike, the wind in your hair and the freedom that comes with it..... good luck and good riding......

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
Philip, I haven't signed up for the course yet, but I plan to. I am just a little excited, I have to wait till mon or tues for the bike. It is still in the crate and has to be cleaned. If you don't mind my asking, what is it costing you for insurance? Mine priced out at $750/yr full coverage.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm paying about 90/month for full coverage on the R1, when I had a 600cc the same coverage ran me 35$ a month.

glad to see you're taking the course, I'd hate to see you drop a shiney new bike right away.

Jin E

Second Unit
If it makes you feel better Phillip, I was paying $118/ month on the VFR. Figure that one out! I just switched insurance carrieres and it's now $440/ 6 months.
Me on the VFR

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
who'd ya switch to?
I'm currently with state farm, but I've got age (23, almost 24) and a couple minor speeding tickets against me :)
sat on a new VFR yet? :D

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
not a bad start, 4 out of 25,421 members. LOL.
i'm sure there is some more riders out there. come on guys,or girls, voice your preferences or opinons about your bikes. :) ;)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Darren, Congratulations on the new bike.
Now, put it on the mainstand in your garage, put a carpet under the front wheel, put STA-Bil in a full gas tank, idle it for about 10 minutes to make sure there is no un-treated gas in your fuel system.
Next, go buy an 8 year old used Suzuki Bandit 600 for about $1000, don't even ride it at all until you've taken the MSF course, and crack open the TT next season.
Seriously.
My bike is a 1995 GPZ1100 with 48,000 miles, bought new in September 1995. Read about some of those miles here.
BTW, here's some advice: don't put a loud exhaust on that bike. Loud exhausts have the following effect:
  • Thy sometimes sound cool
  • They give you a negligible power increase onthe top end, often decreasing midrange power - which is what you NEED and USE on the street.
  • They hurt your hearing
  • They piss off drivers who hate bikes already
  • They are an invitation to tickets
  • They are almost always cheaply made compared to stock and not as good
Also, don't go riding without the appropriate gear, including:
  • A nice DOT approved full face helmet (I don't place much faith in the much touted Snell certification).
  • Gloves
  • Leather boots that velcro closed - you do NOT want shoelaces getting tied up on the bike and it is a COMMON occourance.
  • approprate leg coverings - at a MINIMUM some "Draggin' Jeans"
  • A nice leather or cordura jacket, padded and armored for road riding. A purpose built motorcycle jacket not a leather jacket from "Wilsons" - though that is better than nothing.
Stay Safe. Don't ride for the thrill or adrenaline rush, ride for the fun of riding.

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, it's great to here from other riders on the forum. All the advice is apreciated and I will be taking the safety course, but this is just the first street bike I have owned. I've riden before and I grew up in the country. With nothing else to do but ride dirt bikes and ski-doos. Plus I'm old enough now to not have to do 200mph to get a rush. My rush is coming from just getting on the bike and riding to places I haven't been to yet. Hopfully down into the states, and into B.C. Right now, at home, it seems like winter will never end. Yesterday there was quite a few bikes out, today is another story. Snow yet again.

I'm not planning on doing any mods to the bike besides a grab rail on the back for my wife to hold on to. The bike is nice enough as it is.

Got to run for now........lets keep it going though. Keep talking about your bikes

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Boy, a TT600 for touring duty, that might be tough. I'm a bigger guy (6'3 220 or so) and more than 70 miles in a straight line on the R1 is a hassle.

anywho, as you probably know the danger isn't yourself (well in a lot of cases kids on bikes they can't handle is the danger.. but anyway..) the danger is from every other idiot out there, and you gotta dress to protect yourself (and your wife, same dress code applies to passengers) from them.

just curious, why'd you choose the TT600?

I disagree with Hamm, stock exhausts are heavy, inefficient, and an eye sore just like the rear fenders. a quality aftermarket system is a must on my bikes. Saying the system an OEM spent $50 developing is higher quality than a well engineered system is making an awfully broad generalization.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I am signing the papers on a new Ducati 900SS next week.

I have been riding since I was 7 years old. I am 38 now.

DUCATI RULES THE ROAD!!!

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
I went with the TT600 for a couple of reasons.

1. everybody and there dog has a Ninja or a CBR.

Triumph is a little different.

2. PRICE--$13,000.paid $8,900. everything else was

over $11,000

My wife and I already have the proper clothing and protective gear, your right though, we just have to watch out for all the people with tunnel vision when they drive and can't see a brightly colored bike.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Saying the system an OEM spent $50 developing is higher quality than a well engineered system is making an awfully broad generalization.
Do you have a reference for this ludicrous number? $50?? Are you serious? I've seen very few aftermarket exhausts that can even touch the quality material and workmanship of an OEM unit. They are lighter, yes, but louder which makes the vast majority non-motorcycling VOTING public advocate road closures and other restrictions. We don't need to make enemies. And there is NO DOUBT that they are cop magnets and hurt hearing. There's no reason for loud aftermarket exhausts on the road and I would be perfectly happy if decibel levels were strictly enforced.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
2000 Honda Valkyrie here..

..Anyways, make sure you take the MSF course. It's $50.00 well spent regardless of how well you think you can operate a motorcycle.

Actually, it's a pretty decent idea to take the class every couple of years if you would like to. It's only $50.00 here in Nevada.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, this latest incarnation of the 600cc Triumph gets it right, and that she's competitive, to some extent, with the GSX-Rs, YZF-6Rs, and CBRs of the world.

Great ride, and congrats!

Though I'm bikeless at present, here are some of my past rides:

* 1967 Honda S-90 (we all had one of these when I was growing up)

* 1970 Honda CB350K5

* 1971 Triumph T-120R Bonneville 650

* 1972 Honda CB750K2

* 1975 Kawasaki Z-1B 903

* 1979 Honda CBX (the red one)

* 1983 Honda CB1100F

* 1987 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

* 1994 Honda CBR900RR

And when I was with Rider magazine, I got to ride lots and lots of different bikes. My respect for Japanese technology has only grown as a result.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, this latest incarnation of the 600cc Triumph gets it right, and that she's competitive, to some extent, with the GSX-Rs, YZF-6Rs, and CBRs of the world.

he bought a 2k1, isn't the tt600 all new for 2k2?

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
The Triumphs are nice bikes. I worked at a dealer for a few years behind the parts counter (Triumph, HD, Buell, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Arctic Cat).

In all my experience working in the industry, aftermarket exhausts are almost always better in every way than their stock counterparts. That includes build quality. Philip H., most pipes I've worked with do not hurt low or midrange power at all. A decrease in performance usually means the bike was not properly jetted/tuned for the pipe.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
$320?!? Wow! I think the state subsidizes some of the money. Here in NV, if you pass the MSF course, you don't have to take the DMV test in order to get your license.

You know what, now that I think of it, it might have been $100.00 for the basic course and $50.00 for the 1 day advanced course. Still, it's alot better than $320!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks