Bike to Work Day

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, May 16, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ooohhhh, who biked to work today?

[raises hand]

Found out yesterday that today is Bike to Work day, as sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists.

A little dreary here in NJ, gusty and there's a noreaster (If there is a noreaster coming, are we going to see the noreaster bunny and eat noreaster eggs?) going through today bringing coastal flooding to some spots on the Atlantic coast but it was dry on the way in.

Anyway, another fun day going to the office, enjoying a nice mug of hot chocolate and waiting for the sun to come out this spring!

Jay

2. Ray B.

Ray B. Agent

If I tried to bike to work, I'd get run over before I left my own subdivision. [​IMG]

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Considering a one-way trip from home to work is 54 miles, it is 46 degrees F outside and the wind is 21 mph directly from the WSW which is the direction I would have to go to work, I doubt I would ride to work. Also since I work 4x10's and today is a day off a ride to work is out anyways [​IMG]

On a similar note I got my first climb in on wednesday evening. Kinda early in the year but it was nice out and I had my gander up. 26 mile loop, one 6 mile climb averaging 7%, the remaining ride rolling hills with an awesome descent back into town. Not a pretty sight seeing me go up that hill but I was pleased[​IMG]

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It would be hard for me to transport 14,000 feet of movie film (ALL ABOUT EVE, playing HERE this weekend) on a bike from the office in Guttenberg, NJ to the theatre in Suffern, NY.

I'm sure my brother - a bike nut - made up for me with a 50 mile ride this morning before work.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Not to be confused with Ride To Work Day which is the same thing for motorcyclists. [​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Dwightk... This morning was about 50°F here, downright balmy so I wore shorts. The record low this winter that I biked in was 6°F not including windchill.

Peter A, didn't see anybody else on the commute in. There is a rare chance I see a cyclist riding (not to work) occasionally in the warmer months but I will sometimes see joggers and people waiting for the bus. I'll even see some people going north on the trail that I take. In winter, I see nobody except the wildlife.

Philip, have only seen one Motorcyclist in winter, a guy on a gold wing with one of those heated helmet things. But there's a group of people where I work who will ride in and go for lunchtime rides on the nicer days...

Jay

7. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

I rode to work today in the pouring rain. But I ride to work most days. I live in Canada, so I guess the League of American Bicyclists doesn't even apply to me. And I rode all winter also (except when there was snow).

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

What if you strapped your bike to the roof of your car and drove to work? Is that still considered "Bike to Work"? [​IMG]

9. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    I've done it the last three years (20 miles each way), but this year I am self-employed and work at home. Biking down the hall seems like overkill. Oh well, at least I can say I WALK to work every day.[​IMG]

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've ridden a couple of times in the snow to work before. When there was only a couple inches of it. Fortunately, I ride off road trails after work when the traffic is higher but once I rode to work when the trails were icy. That was madness cause the way the trail was and the fact I had only MTB tires not studded tires, I couldn't dare steer and basically had to pedal lightly, coast for a bit, then pedal again, any kind of pedal force and the tires would spin and I'd go flying. Crashed once on a big puddle that was now an icy lake!

I just got XC skis this past winter but after all the big snowstorms so I couldn't XC ski to work this year, but next time when there may be too much snow to bike to work, I'm going to try to ski to work. Who says NJ is all developed? [​IMG]

Jay

11. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Wow. I have biked to work in the snow, but I try not to. I don't have to go very far, though. I don't go on any trails - just bike lanes.

12. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I rode my motorcycle to work, I no longer have a bicycle

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have waved at a couple of motorcyclists before, even a motorcycle gets better gas mileage than most cars and is certainly more fun. [​IMG]

Kerry, my ride is about a litle over 10 miles one way if I ride on the road to work but what I normally do is take my old hardtail mountain bike and ride a combination of the road and trails and that winds up about 9.4 miles as it is more direct to where I work. The trail is just hardpack dirt and is kind of like a railtrail but it is not maintained. ATVs, dog walkers, other cyclists use the trail which is technically state property as it is a buried sewer and water line. But everybody uses it. The cops only care about the ATVs but nobody I know of has every been given a problem. On the way too work, I ride mostly on the road just to keep from gettting too dirty and it's faster, but after work, I'll ride all the way til about a mile from where I live on the trail. Part of the trail is also an abandoned freight line but talking to Rails to Trails, they have not heard of it so I guess it's not going to be legal in quite some time. Horses even use the trail cause I go by a stable on the way home.

Jay

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

For my temporary season job, I bike to work every day. 13.6 KM each way, or 8.5 miles. 35 minutes each way.

15. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Jay, that sounds like a great route! What an awesome way to start out/finish off the day - much better than dodging busses and cabs. My ride is only about 15-20 min and it's all in downtown Toronto traffic. The best part is 6:30 when I ride to the gym and the streets are relatively empty. It's cold in the winter, though.

I did do a big ride along Lake Ontario on Sunday, it was a beautiful day, just the right temp for a good ride.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, it certainly makes going to work a lot more fun! I imagine how cold it is up there, ocassionally the jet stream dips down and we get stuck with all your cold canadian air. [​IMG] This winter was fairly "bad" for that. Personally, I don't mind the cold though, just have to dress in many thin layers and be prepared to shed clothing.

Sunday was beautiful down here too, went out on the road bike for a 75 mile ride up into NY State. Where in Ontario are you, I have some relatives in London, Ont. which is somewhere around Toronto.

Been trying to promoto bike commuting where I work but besides the usual, it is not like being in a city like NYC or say Toronto, there aren't the resources like Transportation Alternatives for the suburbs and unlike California, NJ doesn't seem to offer any kind of tax incentives or bonus to people that do not drive to work. But there are 3 people in our building that I know commutes, two of us still bike in winter and I have the longest commute of the bunch. When our schedules allow, sometimes I will bike home part of the way with a friend and we joke that we're Bike Pooling.

Jay

17. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

I'm in Toronto. Actually, there are quite a few people here who ride to work. Not enough of course, and I've noticed that the numbers change with the weather.

As for promoting commuting, we have bike week coming up either the last week of May or the first week of June (can't remember which). They have all kinds of activities to promote cycling in general and commuting. The coolest thing is they shut down two of the major highways in the city on Sunday and have 25/50/75 km routes for a big charity ride. It's so strange to ride on the highway!

18. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I bike to work everyday, but it's only about 2 miles and takes me 12 minutes. I bike in all weather. I hate snow the worst, since it makes it so damn hard to see and thin tires don't like the icy roads much.

19. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi Zane, what kind of bike do you commute on? Have you seen those Nokian studded snow tires? I've thought of taking a pair of worn out MTB tires and real short screws and making my own but I never got around to it. I resorted to sliding around and hopeing not to wipe out when we had a freak ice storm this past winter. I wouldn't of tried it on the road, but the roads were fine because of the salt trucks but the trails aren't obviously salted so it still had a layer of snow and ice on them..

I think a cyclocross bike would make the ideal multiterrain commuter, wide enough forks for most wide 35c+ tires, cantilever brakes for wide tires and a general toughness that some road bikes lack. Fender mounts too. If I didn't have an old MTB to use on the trails, a 'Cross bike would be a great addition to the stable for me.

Jay

20. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Jay, I ride a German-made Staiger Oregon (sorry it's all in German, but you get the idea). My particular model is 3 years old, so it's slightly different.

http://www.staiger-fahrrad.de/staige...x_staiger.html

It's a nice bike, and actually a hybrid with a little wider tires and much heavy frame than a street/racing bike. I like it a lot, though like I said, It can get tricky in snow and ice. I like the tires though, since I ride only on streets and bike paths, almost never offroad. I could maybe find some knobbier tires though, at least for winter.