What's new

Biggest Pan & Scan Atrocity? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
In the case of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the atrocity is made worse by the fact that a (non-anamorphic) widescreen master *was already available* at the time, and it went unused due to the "family title = full screen at all costs" BS.
Actually, they have a new WS THX certified *16x9 anamorphic* master.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

The title of the thread makes no mention of Biggest Pan & Scan Atrocity on dvd.

It states "Biggest Pan & Scan Atrocity".

I think The Mission and Once Upon A Time In The West would qualify for that.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. That movie used the whole width of the frame. The P&S often leaves the speaker off camera.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
My thought was that virtually *every* widescreen film has been released in P/S format at one point or another...be it on broadcast TV, Cable, VHS whatever. So in that sense it's not a very useful discussion to leave the gate wide open as you could basically say that all 2.35:1 or wider scope films have been chopped and cropped and compromised artistically (the real argument becoming which films made better artistic use of the aspect ratio and therefore were "more compromised" than others)...so it might have more relevance to discuss those compromises that affect us *now*.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, I did intend the thread to address titles that are only available P&S.
Now knowing that The Sting is at least open matte, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is now tops on my list. I love the film and I can't even bring myself to watch it all hacked to pieces.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
as Patrick mentioned way back on page one of this thread, the P&S release of Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang is atrocious.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't understand why they released "A Fish Called Wanda" in widescreen but didn't release "Fierce Creatures" in widescreen also.
A Fish Called Wanda is owned by MGM and they did a dual-sided (P&S on one side, matted 1.85:1 widescreen on the other). Universal released Fierce Creatures in 1997 or 1998, which is why it's not OAR.

DVD isn't controlled by one studio.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think you could probably convert the hardest of the die-hard Joe Six Packs by showing them a widescreen vs. pan & scan comparison of the "dropping off or picking up?" scene in "Ghostbusters".

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
When I saw the Muppet Treasure Island dvd sitting on the store shelves I jumped for joy. When I picked it up and saw the word fullscreen on the back I wept......makes me sick!

Kids don't give a damn if the movie has "evil black bars", it's the stupid parents that think their kids don't want to see it. Utter rubbish. The muppets aren't exactly a hot property with kids these days but us older people certainly have very fond memories of the muppet films. What crap.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
My vote is for The Sting , which I bought before I knew what widescreen was. I now call this disk The Stink :)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
My vote has to be Snow Dogs. How can a recent movie be only released in P&S? Gimme a break.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks