What's new

Biggest BOOM for the buck? (1 Viewer)

Arjcm72

Agent
Real Name
Chris
For a dedicated home theater system, which av receiver is the best bang for the buck? Denon AVR-2308, Onkyo TX-SR806, or Harman Kardon AVR 354? They all seem around the same price and same features.
What I am looking for is some info on the power actually. What is going to drive my Paradigm Studio 100 v4 fronts and center the best? I have matching surrounds as well (7.2 system).
Also any help on which one is the best for upgrading with separate amps in the future? I have looked at the Rotel and Marataz pre amps, but just a little more than I want to spend right now. I have about 6000 to spend total for a av receiver, blu ray, screen and projector.
Thank you for any help.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have the Onkyo 805, which is very similar to the 806. It's a great receiver, but depending on how hard you want to drive it, you might want to consider a separate 3 channel amp to compliment it in a large dedicated room.

I play my movies VERY loud at times, and my Onkyo used to occasionally shut off on me. After adding an inexpensive Acuras 3x200w-channel amp to drive the fronts and center, I can't even get it close to shutting down again. Just remember that the receivers power specs are only with 2 channels driven, so total power will be considerably less.

Happy hunting

John

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't use an external amp with mine. My front three speakers are 4 ohms. The Onkyo receivers have a rep for running hot. Mine is sitting out on a stand, and not closed in. I ran a test one day, to see if it was going to get hot.

I put in the first Transformers movie, and cranked the sound up to "0" on the receiver, which is very loud! I watched about 45 minutes of the movie at that volume. I touched the receiver, all over the case, and it was barely warm. At that volume, with the LSi9 speakers, I heard things I had never heard before. They were so clear and crisp, you could distinguish between sounds very well. Driving those 4 ohm speakers like that, for that long, should have made the case so hot, that you couldn't lay your hand on it, if you listen to everybody talk about them. Maybe mine is the exception?

An external amp is good, if you can afford one. But, with my receiver, it's not really necessary, from what I've observed. I can't say all Onkyos will be this way though. The receiver can be setup for 4 ohm loads, and it seems to do very well with them. I don't know that I could run my whole 7.1 system, with 4 ohm speakers. I'm not even sure about a whole 5.1 system either. But my three fronts being 4 ohm, and my other four being 8 ohms, isn't a problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks