Bigger 16X9 direct view HDTV on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tjia, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Are there any 38" or bigger 16X9 direct view HDTV that would be available in the market soon, besides the existing RCA F38310? Looking at HDTV format will be in 16X9 and direct TV fans like me, there should be a market for 38" or bigger direct view HDTV. Is Thomson (RCA and PROSCAN) the only company out there doing this?
    I understand there are bigger Sony Wega 16X9 HDTV in Europe.
    Is there not enough demand in the US market to drive such production here? What's your view?
    Gary

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

There are several 34" direct-view HDTV's either in production (Panasonic Tau) or in the pipeline (Sony XBR2), but I haven't heard of any larger direct-view sets. I'm hoping someone will manufacture a nice, flat-screen direct-view set that is larger than 34".

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

38" is as large a direct view as we are likely to see (except for the commercial market) as the price of producing the tubes is prohibitive. The production failure rate of tubes goes up geometrically with size. You may recall that Mitsubishi had a 40" 4X3 tube set on the market for several years before they discontinued it. I also remember seeing the Sony 43" 4X3 tube. The MSRP on the Sony was about $13,000.
    It is much more profitable to make rear projectors in sizes above 36". The 38" RCA is available for $2,500. Considering that it has the HDTV decoder and Direct TV decoder built in, it is a bargain.
    Personally, I want to make a quantum leap in screen size so my next will probably be at least 56". When you can get one of the most highly regarded 65" rear projectors for $2,500 (Toshiba 65H80) a 38" 16X9 pales in comparison. The 4X3 image on the 38" 16X9 is only the size of a 32" 4X3 set.

4. John Cobra

John Cobra Auditioning

Well right now there is another set. The Loewe Aconda is a direct view 16:9 38 incher . . . priced around $5500, which is too steep if you ask me. There have been rumors of a Panasonic 40 incher direct view 16:9, but the folks at Pany are real tight lipped about this so we'll all have to just wait and see. As far as I know, nothing else is on the radar screen.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Cobra

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I'm wanting to get a direct view HDTV (I already own a 65"), but I've heard that the direct view tubes only resolve around 800,000 pixels, nowhere near the 2 million pixels of 1920x1080. When these sets can double as 1280x1024 computer monitors, then I'll pick one up.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Supposedly, the RCA does a little over 1 million pixels. Besides, the only projection TVs that will resolve full HDTV have 9" guns, and are very pricey. Most RPTVs on the market only have 7" guns, and won't do full HDTV.
    I would like to see a nice 36" flat screen 16X9 tube. Several manufacturers make them for the European market. I have always wondered why America only has 34" tubes (except for the RCA).

7. PeterG

PeterG Agent

In Europe they measure TV screens differently.
    They advertise a TV set as having a 36" screen when that is the diagonal edge to edge. In North America they advertise only the viewable area. A 36" European TV is the same size as a North American 34".
    Peter
    ------------------

8. DavidHall

DavidHall Auditioning

I also have been looking for a widescreen direct-view set due to space limitations. I think I have settled on the Samsung HLK-436W. It's dimensions almost perfectly fill the space I have. The only downside I see is that it does not do 1020i, but the pluses of multiple inputs and no fear of burn-in outweigh that small negative.
    The real problem is I cannot get a firm date of availability. Does anyone know an actual street date of when this set will be available? I've seen the date slip on some sites or turn into "TBA," but here's one that lists September: link
    Also, does anyone know what national retailers will carry this model... Sears, Tweeter, Best Buy, etc.? Or how about speciality stores in the Houston area?
    Samsung's web site is less than helpful. The most recent DTV press release I see is from January 2000! They also haven't responded to this question via email.
    Thanks for any info you guys can provide.