Big Valley coming to dvd at last

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brett*H, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5029

This tv western has been on my "want" list for ages.

I'm ecstatic that we may be "riding into the valley" by the end of May!

Can't wait to hear the official announcement and more details about the actual release date. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Brett, you beat me to the "post" [​IMG] I was searching for a BV thread and saw yours pop up. This is one that I also have wanted big-time. '06 is full of classic-release surprises so far and it's only Jan! Yeaaahhhhh [​IMG]

I was wondering if there was any "pattern" to something that I've noticed recently: Encore channel just added the BV to their "Western" channel lineup, and here we have an apparent DVD release in the works. I've noticed this same pattern about some other series as well, Time Tunnel, Combat!, etc. Is this a coincidince or a marketing plan of some sort? Either way, it's great [​IMG]

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Wow Great News i'll go look at the TVONDVD info. I'll definately add this set, I've been getting into Westerns of late with Have Gun and the Rifleman and I always Liked Big Valley.

Edit: Yikes Fox owns this. My Heart Sinks as I realize it'll be affordable becasue it'll be on DVD-10's Well so far Hill Street has held out but I hate these disks.

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I think DVD-14s are more likely based on the number of episodes. Either way they're double-sided.

Gord
    P.S. It's a "disc" not a "disk" [​IMG]

5. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

I think there is a connection. The broadcast contracts pay for the cost of remastering these shows. When it comes time to consider a DVD release, the elements are already in an acceptable form without the high cost of having to start from scratch. Too bad the pattern hasn't extended itself to Universal considering "Alias Smith And Jones", which has had an Encore run.

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    They probably also look at the program's Stars and Barbara Stanwick, Lee Majors and Audra there are bigger names than Ben Murphy and who was the other Guy in Alias Smith and Jones? I think there were two after the first Costar Died?

7. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I've been recording them to DVD from Encore and now I'm not sure what to do. Fox could put all four seasons out, although even if they do that could take anywhere from 1 to 4 years. And that's if the show "meets sales expectations", whatever Fox has for them. Considering blank discs are so cheap these days I think I'll just record the run and then if Fox does put out the whole series I'll just give my discs to a friend and pick up the set. At 30 cents a disc, we're only talking about less than $17 so it's better to make sure to get them rather than take a chance Fox stays with it, although Fox is the best as everyone keeps saying.

8. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

The key to "Alias Smith And Jones" was not so much the main stars as the guest stars. The show was packed with a fairly impressive guest star lineup.

9. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I'd like to think of the release as an encouraging sign from Fox- it's finally going into the Four Star Productions library, which includes Burke's Law and Honey West. Since Gene Barry (Amos Burke), Anne Francis (Honey West), and John Ericson (Sam Bolt) are still alive, Fox should get the move-on to records commentaries and interviews for any forthcoming DVD sets.

Also, maybe Fox will finally release some of their more memorable 60s dramas: Peyton Place, Judd For The Defense, and Adventures In Paradise. I'd also like to see Bus Stop out, though it isn't as well known as the others.

10. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

This is good news. I always like to have a western series in my dvd rotation, and "Big Valley" will fit the bill nicely. I wonder if Fox will ever get around to releasing some of those other Four-Star westerns, like "Black Saddle," "Law of the Plainsman," and such.

11. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

That is really nice wishful thinking. However I think the big key here is that Big Valley is in color while the others aren't. And unfortunately the Powers That Be, whether rightly or wrongly, have it in their heads that black and white shows won't sell. But, hey, you never know. It's nice to dream though.

12. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

That's why the major studios need to consider licensing arrangements with the independent companies like Image, Shout! Factory, S'more Entertainment, etc. for series that they (the majors) have no interest in releasing themselves. Image, in particular, has a mostly solid track record with B&W shows like Combat!, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Naked City, Tales of Tomorrow, and The Twilight Zone. Unfortunately, many of the majors don't or won't license, so many worthy shows sit in the vault collecting dust.

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

And with that being the case I hope they do a better job than the very poor effort turned in by Paramount on the Gunsmoke color episodes. Its a case where I wish that they only released Black and White episodes because the quality on those are pretty good but the color Gunsmokes were just awful. The worst I have ever seen released for a TV product from a Major Studio. The VHS releases by Columbia House put these to shame. Think bargain basement, $4.00 DVD bin, Public Domain quality awful and you will get the idea.

14. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan

Original narrator Roger Davis succeeded Pete Duel. He was Murphy's only other co-star before the series was canceled.

15. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

That's great news. All I need now is Alias Smith & Jones and The Rifleman in season sets.

16. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

And let's not forget season sets for the greatest of them all: Gunsmoke!!!

17. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Just read Gord's news post on the BV S1 coming May 16. Cool! Does anyone know in advance if Fox will use the un-cut original eps for this set?

18. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I hope the noted retail price of $39.98 is accurate. $40 for five discs with 30 episodes has got to be a new low. [​IMG] Hopefully it doesn't mean they'll be cutting corners to offer the set at this low price. If Fox offers transfers on par with Time Tunnel, and not Hill Street Blues, I'll be very pleased.

19. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Matt, that's the price of the set from Fox, and also listed on DVDPlanet, so it should be correct.

Gord

20. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

Oh Yeah! [​IMG] Great news!

That (aprox) $28.00 pre-order price at DVD Planet and Amazon.com is amazing for 30 one hour eps.

Doesn't seem to be any extras. I was hoping for something from Lee Majors,Peter Breck or Linda Evans but hey...as long as they're clean, uncut episodes,I don't mind!