What's new

Big USA Today Article about 3 disc/R Rated Version of "Pearl Harbor" (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
David,
I didn't attack anyone. I respect Matt's opinion. But I don't hop on forums of movies I don't like just to say they suck. I would like the same courtesy. I know this movie wasn't LoA, but there are plenty of threads around here to slam it. Can't we have one or two for people to get excited about the DVD without a random "it sucks." That's all. Don't mean to offend, and maybe I shouldn't have been sarcastic. For that, I'm sorry. Take care.
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
It'll be really interesting to see what the differences are between the two cuts. Think I'll probably hold off on the pre-orders until then. If the R rated version also contains the theatrical cut then I will definitely hold off another month for that version.
Don

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I went with David Tolsky to a DGA screening of this film where the DP spoke to the audience after the film was shown.
The question was asked: "What is your favorite shot that was in the movie, and your favorite shot that is NOT in the movie?"
His answer: "Well, it's a Michael Bay film, so I don't think there's anything I shot that is NOT in the movie." Followed by a big smile and laughs from the audience.
I guess there WAS something left out, after all...
biggrin.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is absolutly thrilling news! The BIGGEST problem I had with the theatrical cut was it seemed really souless, I mean it showed us what the attack must have physically LOOKED like, but did little in showing us the gut wrenching horror of it, the human toll. Maybe this R rated cut will remedy that, I hope.
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

DanR

Supporting Actor
This makes sense. When Disney greenlit Pearl Harbor for 125 M, they wanted to make sure it would have the widest audience possible and a PG-13 rating. Take out the violence for the kids, and bring in the females with the love-story.
Now, Bay and Bruckheimer will get to do the movie THEY wanted to do. Bruckheimer's recent PG-13 stuff hasn't been that great, and he needs to get back to the Crimson Tide, Bad Boys, The Rock, and Con Air attitude of the mid-90's.
This news may change my mind (favorable) about purchasing this on DVD.
Regards,
Dan

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I wish Disney would allow McTiernan to remount the movie he intended to do...... oops, different case, Crichton.... well, not so different case.
less love affaire, Beckinsale's butt ( I like her!!
yum.gif
), more gut wrenching, war realism, etc, exactly what it should have been initially. Great. but this rises my already long and expensive list of purchase for the next 4months.........arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

.... and DTS on both editions!!!!!!

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't believe that the quote from Vincent above (re Beckinsale's butt) is actually in the original article from USA Today. I thought Vincent had come up with a pretty funny quip on his own. Amazing.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I, too, am surprised by that quote.
I really didn't think it possible that Bay could go even more low-brow in his exploitation of this national tragedy. Silly me for underestimating the man.
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Link Removed
Al's Criterion Collection
[Edited last by Al Brown on August 15, 2001 at 01:40 PM]

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
They should do a set with seamless branching to play 4 versions:
1. The original
2. Chick Flick. Subtract guy-stuff and violence, add sex and romance
3. Guy Flick. Subtract romance, add violence & realistic cussing.
4. Kid Flick (for the 1-digit midgets). Subtract sex, romance, violence and language.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
2. Chick Flick. Subtract guy-stuff and violence, add sex and romance
3. Guy Flick. Subtract romance, add violence & realistic cussing.

You have it all wrong. Number three should be:
Violence, cussing and lots of sex. No romance at all.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I'll get the first version to hold me over 1 month then give it to my parents and buy the new one in January. This is great news guys.
John

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Complaining? What ever on Earth for? They're announcing both versions, and the R-rated 3 disc SE set is only a month or so later than the PG-13 rated one. Not like they're putting one out, then nine months later they announce the followup SE set, to trick people into buying both. I cheer this move from a disc-buyer's perspective.
As a movie lover, I also cheer the decision to issue a Director's Cut. I will almost always prefer DC versions of films, period. It his his/her vision I'm seeing, and I think it fair, and usually more enjoyable/interesting to see DC versions. I was already buying it based on the attack sequence (only part I really liked), but the new cut may be more to my personal liking, so that's good news.
------------------
-----
:D
Dave's World
-No matter where you go, there you are-

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
It sure would be nice, as was mentioned earlier, if the theatrical version was included in the three disc set...
Still, good news! Looking forward to it.
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

jez

Stunt Coordinator
What i want to know is, will the Vista series 3 disk release. Have both the original and directors cut of the film.
I dunno but i assume this is why it is 3 disk and the announcment includes 'Everything that the previous version offers' when listing the Vista edition extras.
For me personaly this would be perfect as i have stated before that i like the orginal however, i also would have thought that Buena Vista would make more money by not including them both
David maybe you have some info???
------------------
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
My reviews

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
pearlharbor.jpg

This is looking good.. a definite purchase.
DVDFile has the press release up with a breakdown of most of the extras.
Movie spread over two discs with intermission (!!), good call so they can have DTS, commentaries etc. without the video suffering.
It's loaded with extras so head over there and check it out.
One thing I really like is that it has "INTRO AND LETTERBOX EXPLANATION BY MICHAEL BAY" - way to go Disney!
------------------
My movies
HTF AFI Top 100 Challenge: 71 70 69 68 films remaining.
Next Up: The Sound of Music
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

Luis A

Second Unit
Thanks to Disney for announcing this highly anticipated release (at least for me) with the addition of a DTS soundtrack.GREAT JOB!It's nice to see some studio's picking up the ball instead of dropping it like Warner Bros.

Luke_A

Agent
Anyone remember the R rated version of Spawn by New Line? What made that one rated R? The calling of a clown a "fudge-packing midget"? All I'm saying is I am not getting my hoped up for this R rated version. So if they are cutting out most of the love parts, is the movie going to be about 80-90 minutes? Or does Bay have some scenes that were forced to be cut, because of the violence. I am also hoping this R rated version has swearing, because that is one thing that made the R rated version of Spawn suck...the lack of cursing.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
This is amazing, I am so looking forward to this set!! I just read the complete specs over at the bits and I'm still trying to pick up my jaw...
smiley_jawdrop.gif

I am really surprised and glad as heck that they decided to spread the movie across two discs, so as not to compromise the quality and still be able to include BOTH DD 5.1 AND DTS, and also include no less than 3 commentary tracks...
Mr. Prior if you're reading this, kudos on an amazing job. I'll be picking bot hthe gift set (that way getting the theatrical version plus the nat. geo. docu), and the 3-disc set.
Man I truly can't wait...
:)
F

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Interesting. I've got to say the extras are attracting me to this (providing I can find the 3 disc one at a good price). Despite what I may think about the film the documentation of its making along with (what I'd hope the commentarys cover) discussion about its critical reception upon release and why it didn't live up to their expectations. I hope they don't tip toe around these issues frankly, I welcome the ever honest opinions of Ben Affleck listed to be on one of the commentary tracks.
I'm dissapointed that the five minute extension is little more then blood guts, some racial slurs and a butt shot. I was under the impression a good deal more histoircal related scenes were shot but cut due to not feeling it met with their theatrical target audience. I guess that information was false... I don't hate Pearl Harbour, but nevertheless I can't put aside it's many faults, and additional violence isn't going to make up for its problems, it may even make them worse, I don't know.
I get this feeling, now in light of the r-rated dvd announcement, more then ever, that not even those making it knew exactly what they were doing in terms of who they specifically wanted to aim the movie at. It's makers really tried to push it as a love story aimed for the most part at teens, they said this was always the intention, if so, why do these blood and guts scenes even exist if it was the intention from day oen to delivery a PG-13 "love story"? It's as if they're saying "ok, so aiming it at that group didn't work, lets paint the screen red and try another target". Strikes me as being a little clueless over what to do with the movie.
I remember a lot of people ranting over MI2 thinking it should have been an R, more bloody and violent in the hope it;d solve all of thats movies directorial and screenplay problems. None of this will make a movie better, violence doesn't make a good movie, so I'm not really excited about the expanded Pearl Harbour. The inclusion of an intermission is pushing it a bit, again kind of contributing to the thoughts in my above paragraph somewhat.
Interesting to not, again for a Vista series release, the lack of any trailers. I know there were rights issues over the use of a cue from The Thin Red Line score, but it's a pitty the latter domestic, international trailers and TV spots that used music from The Crow and music specificaly written from the trailrers (not by Zimmer) are not down on the press release for inclusion.
Still, curse David Prior for putting together a super package, like I say, I have no reservations in buying this for a good price for its supplements alone, and buying a disc on the merrits of its extras and little else is something I rarely do these days, so I dunno what's going on in this head of mine. :)
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 15, 2001 at 04:39 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread