Big TV for a small room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Greca, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32" TV right now and I sit about 7' away. I want to get something a little bigger, but with the distance I sit an RPTV just wouldn't work out... So does anyone make a direct view TV bigger than 36"? Price isn't an issue, just no plasma, and I'd kinda like something 16:9... I've been looking around and I can't seem to find anything

2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

RCA makes a 38" 16:9 direct view set. Built in HDTV receiver. might fit your bill.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I used to think the same as you (I sit 7.5 feet away from my TV), bought a 36" WEGA, didn't like it, and decided to get a 47" HDTV (Panny). I couldn't be happier. There's no way it's too big given my viewing distance. I never see scan lines. It looks great.

4. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, I'm not worried about a TV being too big, that would never be a problem... [​IMG] I'm just worried that a rear projection TV would be too dark and not sharp enough at such a close distance. I've checked them out at stores and at friend's houses and gotten about 7' away, and they look really dark and washed out... Thats the only reason I'm looking for a direct-view set.

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Proscan makes a 48" oops, I mean 38" direct view as well. I was looking at one today and I was pretty impressed.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website
    [Edited last by Richard Travale on October 01, 2001 at 10:41 PM]

6. Bob D

Bob D Extra

Joe,
    Just curious...are you standing or sitting when you evaluate the pics on the RPTV's? If you are standing, then the picture will look dark and washed out. You need to be at eye level with the TV to see it correctly. I agree with Kevin - I have a 41" RPTV and have sat as close as 7' and had no problem with the pic. I don't think the 47" would give you a problem either. Just my two cents.