What's new

big tv, does anyone know the catch? (1 Viewer)

Justin_Ha

Auditioning
I recently saw a website advertised in the New York Times called mybigtv.com which makes some pretty outlandish claims about building a home projector system. Having been born earlier than yesterday, I'm suspicious of things on the internet that sound too good to be true, but I was wondering if anyone here knew specifically what the catch was? I have a few hypotheses, but I figured this would be the group to ask. Thanks for your time.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

As well you should be, Justin. This question about that particular scam has come up about four times in recent months. Avoid this "deal." Bogus.

Axiom: In consumer electronics, you can't get something for nothing.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It's just a fresnel lens, and tvs can't provide adequate brightness for this. You're better off buying a used CRT projector, which works the same way, but is designed for the task, and will throw an amazing picture, or purchase a new digital projector which works differently, but still throws a nice picture. Entry-level of either can be had for under a grand.

Justin_Ha

Auditioning
Hey, thanks for the responses guys. You mean it won't add 1-3 inches (ahem) or refinance my home mortgage either? Ha-ha.

I was just curious as to what their scam was, sorry to have asked a redundant question.

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, they often represent their products as being able to throw a big picture from any tv. And to do it well. And they often show pictures of front-projection setups as examples. The picture you get from a fresnel and a tv is crappy, horribly focused, and almost unusably dim. Find an old overhead projector, and grab the fresnel off that and play around with it if you want, youll see quickly how worthless it is.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I had one of those lenses in 1981 with a 9 inch tv flipped upside down for the projector. In pitch dark, it was barely visible with no detail whatsoever. In light, you couldn't tell it was on!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks