What's new

Big Trouble in Little China (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
The kung fu in BTiLC is awesome and brutal. It's a totally underrated movie. Great effects, great fights, and the humor is inspired.

Escape From LA sucks hard, imo. It's a quickie rehash of EFNY. Some of the effects are cool and there are some neat gags but it's just not good. EFNY is one of my all time faves, as is The Thing (many from Carpenter are on my personal list).

Now that I think of it, John Carpenter has made many of the films that I adore and rewatch again and again. Look at this pedigree:

Assault on Precinct 13
Halloween
The Fog
Escape From New York
The Thing
Christine
Big Trouble in Little China
The Prince of Darkness
They Live

He's had a few misfires (well...let's be honest...a lot of misfires) but his early work is very strong. Think of the great music, the iconic characters.

I'm in the mood for a Carpenter weekend.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I love Drive! Mark Dascascos and Kadeem Hardison make a great buddy team. Another underratted gem. I'm sure its been done before but perhaps we need a hidden gem thrread. :D

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I saw this after all the hype when it was released on DVD but remember not being that impressed with it.

James@R

Second Unit
I never understood why this wasn't a bigger hit at the time. But I also think you will probably get more out of it if you grew up with it.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
One of my favorite movies.

I might just pop in the extras disc sometime this week and watch some of the deleted scenes and such again.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Jack Burton: What is that stuff?
Egg Shen: It is black blood of earth.
Jack Burton: You mean oil?
Egg Shen: No, I mean black blood of earth.

~T

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Who are all the people in this thread?! Friends of yours?! This really pisses me off to no end!

Is HTF an awesome website? INDEED!

John Doran

Screenwriter
awesome, awesome show for real...russell absolutely nailed the character and the performance. and, as you noted, chuck, the movie is instantaneously and unrelentingly entertaining.

a movie i'm always in the mood to watch.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

Oddly, I remember the first time my parents rented this the summer after it opened. I was 8, and I refused to watch it. Thankfully, I saw the light as numerous cable screenings (this must have been on TNT every week in college, it seems) showed me what I'd missed as a youngster. It was the third DVD I bought after I got a player for Christmas four years ago.

Russell and Carpenter pretty much lay the blame for the film's failure on the Fox marketing brass in the commentary. The opening scene was added after Fox honcho Barry Diller wanted Jack to be seen as more heroic, and a look at the ad campaign shows that Fox missed the tone of the movie big time. (Plus, the studio had placed the film as their big July 4th weekend release, which seems kind of odd in a way, considering Aliens would open two weeks later.)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot. Just read this thread and I can't think of anything else but BTILC. And I have a meeting in 12 minutes...great...just great...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's one of my all time faves. The one-liners alone make the film.

My brothers and I still, 20 years later, whip out "It's okay, I took something"... or "Relax! I'm here."... or "This really pisses me off!" (delivered in the basket-case-on-wheels Lo Pan... not the 10 ft tall roadblock)

I recall reading someplace that all of the characters would be willing to do a sequel, but I think that's what's so endearing about the film, is it never had a sequel. It just left you wanting more. That's part of my problem with films today... so many more films would probably reach cult classic status if they didn't beat the premise to death with sequel after sequel.

The 2 disk collector edition is displayed prominently on my shelf. If there's ever a Blu-ray or HD-DVD version, I'll be first in line.

Another movie that has the same "hang time" with me and my brothers is "The Burbs": "About a 9 on the tension scale there, Rube."

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Dropped this in my Netflix list after reading this thread. Should have it sometime today or tomorrow....

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, me and my friends say "Now this really pisses me off to no end!" all the time. :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Lines I STILL quote after all these years:

"This really pisses me off to no end!"

"If I'm not back in 10 mins., call the President." (paraphrased)

"Everybody relax, I'm here."

"I feel good. Not scared at all."

"Is it me, or is it getting hot in here."

"Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

"Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail."

"Sonovubitch must pay!"

"The Chinese have a lot of hells."

"6.9 on the Richter scale."

"It's all in the reflexes."

todd stone

Screenwriter
hahah the sequence of him sliding open the wooden door and seeing all the bad guys and turning around saying 'we may be trapped' is friggin hillarious.

Kurt Russell OWNED in this role.

Bring on the sequel!

RobertW

Supporting Actor
a great movie. and Kim Cattrall never looked lovelier. those eyes!!

my favorite scene.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I think that's "It's all in the reflexes." :)
(just unwrapped and watched my copy :b )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks