Big Trouble delayed until next year because of WTC!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nate Anderson, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Is it just me, or does this just not make sense. Sure the movie deals with a suitcase bomb, but the movie takes place in Miami, and seems really rather un-related. I'm mad because I was looking forward to seeing it!
    -Nate
    ------------------
    "What if he honks in the car?"
    "I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I suspect we'll see other postponements. It's a difficult time to bring out any film that deals with the actual or threatened destruction of all or part of a major city. Usually we're able to enjoy such films precisely because they aren't real. Today, they're all too real. Has anyone else noticed how often witnesses to the WTC tragedy describe the sight as "like a movie"?
    I don't think we'll be seeing broadcasts of Independence Day or Armageddon for quite some time. The X-Files movie and True Lies will be hard to watch as well.
    M.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

From Dark Horizons:

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Guess it's a good thing I went to that screening last week. (I didn't like the film, for what it's worth.)
    When I intially saw a report, I wondered why. The similarities are very minor at best, but I imagine they would be highly distracting considering the current environment. The Schwarzeneggar picture appears to be a thornier issue, IMO.
    As for destroying all the trailers and posters, huh? I can understand pulling them, but this seems to be going a bit too far.
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
    Most recent column: Panning P&S

7. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Mark,
    Remember, The Last Castle movie posters are of a flag being flown upsdie down.
    The flag from the WTC was shown flying upside down.
    People might get upset if they see these posters sold, displayed, or even kept.
    ------------------

8. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I can see your guy's point, but I'm still dissapointed that it's being delayed. I enjoyed the book and I was looking forward to the movie.
    Stupid terrorists.
    ------------------
    "What if he honks in the car?"
    "I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

9. Ken_Pro

Ken_Pro Extra

This sounds like pure economics....any big movie that comes out these days about terrorists is going to be a flop....we get enough of that on TV.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Considering the size of this event, people probably won't go to the movies, and probably won't see this movie if they do. It was a smart decision no matter how you look at it.