Big Thanks w/ Speaker Setup Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Cory*C, May 26, 2004.

1. Cory*C

Cory*C Auditioning

Hey HTF!

Brand new member here w/ first post. Wanted to say a BIG THANKS to this forum for the education you've provided. Yes, i have watched from afar for some time, thought it was past time to join to say thanks. so thanks!

I could run on for entirely too long re: the bose set up i previously owned, (impulse buy w/ the wife after happy hour), and the saga of unloading it on ebay and the beating taken from said wife and wallet but that has been chronicled enough here. let's move on the fun part of this thread, and i do have a question.

I made it to tweeter just in time to purchase some Boston Acoustics speakers to replace the bose. I think I got a great deal, 1/3 off retail, of the following: 2 VR 2's, VRC center, 3 bravos and 2 120 micro's. I'm also patiently waiting for a 25-31pci from SVS, (and i completely agree w/ all said re: the customer service provided at SVS, they are great). The questions comes regarding the set up. I have the micros mounted from the ceiling above our armiore in line w/ the vr2's and vrc. It says that they should be wired through the sub to use the subs crossover or set the speakers to small. the problem is that they are run from the main 'b' speakers w/ the vr2's on the main 'a'. I only have the option of setting the main speakers to large or small. Or do i set the main speakers to large and run the micros through the sub and use the subs crossover. i think this last option would have the sub playing some of the upper frequencies at the micro's cutoff at 125hz. the small setting on my receiver, (yamaha htr5660), sends everything below 90hz to the sub.

We listen to a lot more music than movies and i'm sure i will be more than a little impressed w/ the svs over the bass module. sorry for the length.

any comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks again,

Cory

2. Cory*C

Cory*C Auditioning

anyone got a suggestion?

3. Cory*C

Cory*C Auditioning

i e-mailed Tom at SVS w/ the same question, here's his reply:

Hi Cory,

Well, either way the sats will be trying to play down to the 80-100hz range(because the highpass outputs of the SVS are in the`80-100hz range too. This shouldn’t be a major concern unless you intend on using very loud playback levels though. At moderate to moderately loud levels…you’ll be fine..J I would just use the subwoofer output of the receiver and set all speakers to small.

Tom V.
    SVS

So that's the direction i'll take.

thanks again for all the info available on this site!

And another thanks to the folks at SVS! i pick up my 25-31PCi from UPS tonight!!
    cc

4. Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes Agent

I would do exactly what tom said, set the speakers to small and use the lfe output on the receiver for the sub.

congrats on your new system! let us know how it sounds.

5. Cory*C

Cory*C Auditioning

Hey Matt,

thanks for the reply. We're headed out of town tomorrow for the holiday weekend w/ no chance to set it up and test until next week, (not sure the wife would understand skipping the beach for a HT weekend instead so...)

We have already set up the Boston Acoustics. i can tell you it is a night and day difference from the bose. so much more clarity and depth. i think my wife just about forgave me for the "speaker fiasco" the first time she heard it too.

i'll try to put together a newbie's comparison once the svs is up and running, (i would think a newbie could be capable of comparing a bose to BA eh?)

cc