What's new

BIG thanks to all of you from a newbie!!! (1 Viewer)

Martin_Baucom

Auditioning
Guys, I just wanted to thank you all for this great forum.

I recently bought my first home (closed two weeks ago) and the 3rd bedroom/den/study was just screaming for a home theater system. I had no idea where to start -- aside from replacing my old Toshiba 21" television that still looks great after about 15 years -- but I knew there had to be a place where I could get the skinny.

I started out by researching televisions through magazine articles reprinted on the web. Also looked at some Consumer Reports stuff and those feedback-driven rating sites where everybody gives the product they just purchased 5 stars.

Part of what I do for a living relies on research conducted through the internet, and I know there's a lot of bad information out there. But I also know that if you find a group of serious devotees to virtually any subject and seek their consensus, you are likely to find out more than through any other course of research.

Well, this turned out to be the place where those serious devotees reside. And there was very little bickering between members regarding the right way to do things or the best products to buy. Lots of well-informed posters giving balanced opinions. I took it all to heart and came up with the best system for me (again, the way most of you guys tend to balance the information by allowing for differences in personal preference and finance is the best thing about this board):

Sony Wega 32fs17 (from Costco at a great deal)

Toshiba SD1700 DVD (i don't really need a changer)

Kenwood HTB-504

That's what I have so far, and I can't believe how GREAT it looks and sounds. My fiancee, who was skeptical but allowed me this one room for my new toys, has been blown away by it.

Now that I think about it, while the purchases I made were greatly informed by this forum, perhaps the best info I gleaned from this place was on setting the thing up. It's a damned confusing thing, but I kept coming back here and using the search function to find out what should be connected to what for what effect, etc. I'm sure I will continue to do so as I tweak this system.

Sorry to have been so long-winded, but I just wanted to express my gratitude in an appropriate manner.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear that you are happy with your purchase(s)! I'm also glad that you've found the help you've needed from this forum. If you run into any problems, don't be shy to post for help. (after using the search function of course :) )
Welcome to the forum!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're off to an excellent start, Martin. Those are good pieces in your system. As for Home Theater Forum, it's a place where you'll receive excellent advice not constrained by commercial concerns. If a certain DVD player is behaving in a wonky fashion out there in the field, you'll hear about it here first.

Feel free to ask any and all questions.

And, oh yes: Welcome to HTF.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got off to an excellent start. Enjoy!

Jon

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to concur with Martin. This forum is a godsend for those of us looking for informative discussion about Audio/Video.
I was searching all over the web to find a place with some meaningful reviews of home theater equipment. When I found this site I was very happy.
My Home Theater

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Glad the forum could be of help! I only wish I would have found this place back before I overpaid for my first system...

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks