What's new

Big Super Audio Update at HiFi Show 2003! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=13340082

From the most trusted source in SACD news - Brian Moura.

Looks like a great summer for SACD.

I'm particularly excited about:

Aerosmith: Toys in The Attic
Shania Twain: Up!
Steely Dan: Gaucho (finally some Dan)
Marvin Gaye: Let's Get It On

Please note that DSOTM has sold 100,000 copies! That's going to make it easier for other superstars to join in on the fun.

And I'm sure Mike Broadman is as excited about the new Fantasy jazz SACDs as I am (John Coltrane, etc.)....:D

:)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting that the Universal site has removed Shania Twain's Up! from it's website listing.

And just to keep things in perspective. I'm sure many folks appreciate Mr. Moura's efforts. Not all. To me, he's definitely a flag waver for the SACD format, but as someone who supports both DVD-A and SACD, Moura is more than a little biased with a distinct touch of tunnel vision. It's not my intent to start a war of words, but your comment about "most trusted source" was a red flag to me.

And as long as folks like Mr. Moura are going to keep mentioning the sales figures for Dark Side of the Moon I'm going to keep mentioning that hybrid sales are not an accurate indication for the "success" of SACD. I don't see anyone touting the sales figures for the non-hybrid Police discs (as an example).

Again, keep in mind that I support both formats thanks to a Universal player. Maybe that's why I'm in favor of balanced reporting of news regarding both formats.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Brian Moura is also a moderator on this site which specializes more in DVD-A (and he has contributed over 750 posts): Link Removed

The fact that there he specializes in one format more than the other or there are few and far between news releases about major labels issuing name artists on DVD-A should not be construed as someone being anti-DVD-A. I have and buy both formats and the fact that I may comment on one more than the others due to more software in one format also should not be taken to mean than I am anti-DVD-A. I don't control which studio releases a particular album on a particular format and all I can do is buy music I like in the format it is released.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I've met and spoken with Brian. He is anti-DVDA.

The Quad board is for multi-channel music, and the forums he moderates, is the SACD portion.

Regards,

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I usually find the site to be a little more pro DVD-A, such as the article debating the Guthrie comments about DVD-A and DSOTM. However, I love the site and find it to be one of the best news sources to keep up with hi-rez.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Only 100,000 copies? That's pretty disappointing if you ask me, especially given that 99% of those sales are to people upgrading the CD portion only. Considering the album is the biggest selling record in history for a British band, spent ten years on Billboard's top 100, and has sold in excess of 23 million copies, 100,000 copies of the remaster is pretty pitiful.

Maybe if Parsons had remixed it, it would have done better. :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Damn. I thought for sure we'd gotten rid of that Shania Twain entry. And I'm still not adding it to the list. There are too many good releases coming out on SACD to waste time with this crap.

But Marvin, Steely Dan, and Areosmith, not to mention the upcoming Trane, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Aimee Mann, Norah Jones -- and finally an August streetdate for the Dylan titles -- I may have to take out a personal loan just to keep up! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I also see that Blue Note has Cassandra Wilson's "New Moon Daughter" pegged for the Fall now! I'm endlessly surprised at how little her music is known around here. I'll simply say that if you like Patricia Barber, Diana Krall... even Norah Jones... give Cassandra a shot. IMO, she surpasses them all, and this album is as good an introduction to her music as any. Very highly recommended.

BTW, can anyone recommend Bob Beldon's "Black Dahlia"? I've read a number of posts over at the Hoffman forums expressing some anticipation for this, but I've never heard it and don't know what to expect...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Not all. To me, he's definitely a flag waver for the SACD format, but as someone who supports both DVD-A and SACD, Moura is more than a little biased with a distinct touch of tunnel vision.
Wait a minute. High Fidelity Review has SEPARATE DVDA reporters. His coverage is simply very thorough.

We should all be happy that SACD titles are expanding! :)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Wow, and NO new DVD-A announcements at HE? This just goes to show DVD-A is all but dead...pull the plug on this life support ***** :D

Go SACD !!!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Shoo-oout fore, I have 200 SACD'a and 16 DVD-A's. Can I qualify as anti-DVD-A?:D Let's just have a gang fight in the alley! I got my corked bat and I'm ready to rumble.

Rich, I've been listening to Cassandra for many years. There's a blue light till dawn at my villa.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
John, you are welcome to your opinions or impressions of an individual. The original post was about new releases noted on High Fidelity Review. While, I don't always agree with the reviews of either format that they do, I find it as balanced a site as there is out there in factually giving infomration about both formats. As you recall, for example, several took exception with the remarks made by Guthrie about DVD-A and they in fact gave some time to the other side to several individuals.

The story in High Fidelity Review noted by Lee was about new releases. I personally welcome all Hi-Res releases, even if the music is not to my taste or liking. My point was that someone could not like the music people released, and since this is a forum about music, make appropriate comments. It should not be about bad mouthing Brian Moura or High Fidelity Review. What did Brian do in the particular article to bad mouth DVD-A? I did not notice anything except a listing of what was coming out on various labels. If someone feels that Mr. Moura is biased go send him an E-Mail (which one can find at the noted site or Audio Asylum) or complain to High Fidelity Review. I hate to see every thread, even one as a simple announcement of new titles, turn into a format war or engaging in the bad mouthing of a particular individual. Every one has opinions and preferences. I went to Home Entertainment Expo last year and Sony/SACD and a number of other rooms had SACD demos and news. Other than the AIX booth and other vendors, Sanibel Sound had their speakers set-up with an excellent DVD-A multi-channel demo with a Meridian player.

It is not the fault of Mr. Moura or High Fidelity review if Warner, DVD-A, etc. chooses other times or places other than the Home Entertainment Expo to push their format or does so on a smaller scale than SACD at this point it time (perhaps they are waiting until they have more releases or CES next year or until something major happens like the Beatles on hi-res). And yes John, if Mr. Moura made a comment about you that had nothing to do with a post about new DVD-A releases, I would have made the same comments. I've personally never seen a post by him on the Audio Asylum that deals with anything except giving information, which most of the time deals with SACD. I've never seen him bad mouth anyone for any reason, including their opinions on hi-res.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
For those with short memories:

Currently, AFAIK dvd-audio members are testing the dvd-a/CD hybrid "flipper" disc. It takes more than a couple weeks to accomplish this task and if successful, more time to formalize the manufacturing standards & implement them in dvd-audio pressing plants.

Edit: Also, more 192khz recordings should be appearing since more well-designed studio-level 192 ADC's & DAC's are starting to appear (a couple years ago I read an article where two engineers said the 96kHz ADCs sounded better than the 192kHz models at the time).

And don't--ahem--forget the dvd-audio format doesn't have a centralized "big daddy" to pay for R&D or recording costs.

LJ

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
It should not be about bad mouthing Brian Moura or High Fidelity Review.
So if someone posts their opinion that Brian Moura is "the most trusted source" for SACD info, others don't have the opportunity to post their opinions, even if contrary? Seems the "rules" should apply to both sides of the coin. If this type of discussion isn't appropriate, then personal opinions -- either pro or con should be expressed elsewhere.

And folks, I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just speaking up until the playing field is level for everyone.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I was under the impression that this was music forum with posts about music. The rules indicate: "Those who post messages that do not relate to the topic area, will have the threads closed or the posts deleted." I merely wanted to try to have the comments related to the topic and post which was about new releases on a particular format and not make it a field day against a particular individual. My comments were not made to pick on any one. I am happy to see additional hi-res releases. I read various sites as trusted sources for hi-res releases incl. High Fidelity Review, Brian Moura's site and others such as:

http://sacdinfo.com/

http://www.dvd-a.dk/start.php?Lang=1

Link Removed

http://www.greatgig.com/quad/dvd-a-list.html

I did not read or interpret the original post as a derogatory comment towards any format, person or derogatory about any other site. I find Brian Moura's site an excellent source of information. Any one is entitled to an opinion about a site.

Rich, I do have the Cassandra Wilson disc on CD (so I am hoping someone who has the CD will order it and post a review and comparison) and I did order Black Dahlia which circuitcity.com has indicated was shipped and I will get it tomorrow or Monday. So Rachael, it is true that you were Sammy Sosa's bat person. I heard about it but did not want to start unfounded rumors. I am far more balanced as I have about 100 SACDs and 30 DVD-As and I guess I am mildly anti-DVD-A.
:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Brian Moura is the most trusted source for SACD info I've encountered. However, I'm certainly not all-knowing, and so if you are aware of someone better, Alan, please be kind enough to fill me in.

Rich, I do have the Cassandra Wilson disc on CD (so I am hoping someone who has the CD will order it and post a review and comparison)
I've got the CD and I'll definitely be getting the SACD as soon as it's available. And you can bet I'll be here sharing what I've heard! Just wish I didn't have to wait until Fall...

BTW, I bought my very first DVD-A title today... Frank Zappa's "Halloween". I certainly hope to have full DVD-A capabilities as soon as it's clear that the right hardware for my system has come along (possibly the Denon 1600 or even their universal player), and that the current doldrums are merely a passing phase. I suspect we'll know soon if the dribble of titles will ever turn into a flood... I hope so, but it surely ain't there yet.

And calling Brian Moura untrustworthy won't do a damn thing in terms of "levelling that field" any quicker, I'd add.

KrisM

Second Unit
I'm not really into questioning other's taste in music, but is Shania Twain's music really worth getting exciting about? Kinda like the announcment awhile back about Kenny G going high-rez.
I am looking forward to the Dylan and Coltrane discs though. And Toys In The Attic is my favorite Aerosmith album(along with Rocks).

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Toys in the Attic and Rocks are my 2 favorite Aerosmith titles, so this is great news.

It looks like there will be a half-dozen Bob Dylan titles on SACD. This was rumoured a while back and I'm thrilled to see it happening.

Wes Montgomery's Incredible Jazz Guitar is possibly the most influencial jazz guitar LP. The latest CD remaster sounds great considering how old the recording is. Musically, this is probably my most anticipated title of all those mentioned in Lee's link.

Of course I look forward to the Coltrane stuff. Lush Life is a great early album of his, and while the album with Monk has its detractors (Trane doesn't even play on half the album), it's still a nice collaboration and Monk is one of my Gods.

I also enjoy Cassandra Wilson and anticipate Murry Perahia's performance of Schubert. I have SACDs of him playing Bach and Mozart. His lyrical style should fit nicely with the strong melodic compositions of my favorite Romantic composer.

But it's all so expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks