Big Super Audio Titles Now at Universal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    Check the following...
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=366647
    ...for some big new titles that Universal is now accepting orders for.
    I think Mike Broadman is going to be happy, there are some first class jazz titles here. [​IMG]
    Also, in a good sign a same day and date release for upcoming new albums from Natalie Cole and Al Jarreau.
    [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Among the 14 SACDs announced by Universal is Diana Krall Look of Love. It is supposed to be out on September 10th. Here is the list from hifidelityreview.com:

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Oh goody, more SACDs I don't want... [​IMG]
    Jason

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, did you really need to share that? Yes, you were typing out loud. Perhaps you shouldn't next time.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah-hah! A Love Supreme!
    And I was just complaining about it in another thread.
    Also Ella & Louie. Oh man, to here Ella's voice in glorious Super Audio..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Muddy is mine but I'm in need of some education for Ella & Louie, Coltrane. Are the two latter titles acceptable for novice jazz folk?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alan, it seemed that Jason's post was nothing more than a jab at the SACD format as a whole. It reads like he was trying to stir the pot. I have criticized Silverline's approach to DVD-Audio and provided the reasons for my criticism, and I have not been the only one to offer such criticism. Also, I have not dropped a one-line criticism of the DVD-Audio format that reads like Jason's post about SACD. Furthermore, I have not criticized anyone for purchasing the Silverline discs. I merely offered an opinion of Silverline's approach to DVD-Audio and my rationale for arriving at that opinion. It is worth noting that I very often include a statement like "in my opinion" when offering criticism. My criticism of Silverline's DVD-Audio discs should be in no way taken as criticism of the format or the people who buy these discs.

We all offer opinions here, and we could take opinions of others and make the same argument you made against me. However, if you look at my criticism of Silverline and the way I communicated it and compare it to Jason's one-line criticism, there is a different approach and tone. As I said, I was not alone in my criticism of Silverline. Others agreed with me. Whether or not you or anyone else agrees with me, at least I substantiated my criticism. There is a basis for my criticism. Jason's post above obviously does not add constructively to the discussion of Universal's upcoming releases on SACD. Jason could have added a sentence summarizing some Universal artists he would like to see on SACD. That would at least invoke some productive discussions about music. Segue...

...That is all I am going to say about this. I made my point and it is time to move. It's time to focus on the music.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John asked:

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm sure he will say that the Coltrane is NOT for the Jazz neophyte, as he has stated on the HTF Jazz Club thread.

Can't wait for the Diana Krall and will try to digest Coltrane as well.

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

While I like Diana a lot I think this is her weakest album IMO.
    Steppin' Out would have been my choice especialy in MC.
    Are any of these are MC BTW?

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

15. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I'll pick up several of these titles myself.....

I'd have to agree with Jason's synopsis though. With the possible exception of Diana Krall's "The Look of Love", maybe the Andrea Bocelli title and longshot for Getz/Gilberto, there aren't any titles with potential for mass appeal.

While A Love Supreme is Coltrane's masterpiece it isn't going to sell as well as his earlier, more accessible works like Giant Steps or Blue Trane.

Regards,

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm getting the Getz/Gilberto album. I'm big on Brazilian jazz. I've had A LOVE SUPREAME on so many formats, why not this one too. I think some people are aggrivated how little rock music is coming to SACD. That's surely sparked the commentary war above. Universal should balance their releases a bit and give every taste....a taste....

18. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Jason wrote:

19. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Mike,
    I won't argue over A Love Supreme being representative of the results of Coltrane's evolution as a musician. It is not nearly as accessible to the casual fan as some of his earlier works, including "My Favorite Things" or "Giant Steps" (especially Countdown) which hints at what is to be.
    There's no question it's an important work, but if you're defining popularity as sales, I don't think that A Love Supreme will be up there.
    Regards,

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

John, the popularity of it is what I was addressing. However, neither of us know the numbers, so it's all guess work. Either way, I can't imagine it being a big difference. Are there many people that like My Favorite Things but not A Love Supreme or vice versa? I would think that someone who digs one digs the other.

Now, if we were talking about something like Ascension, that would be a whole other story.

NP: Adrian Belew, Desire of the Rhino King