What's new

Big Star on SACD... it's really coming (but not from MoFi)! (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
As reported today in High Fidelity Review:

It still surprises me how little this band is known. Here's the intro to their AMG Bio, in the hopes that it elicits some interest:

"The quintessential American power pop band, Big Star remains one of the most mythic and influential cult acts in all of rock & roll. Originally led by the singing and songwriting duo of Alex Chilton and Chris Bell, the Memphis-based group fused the strongest elements of the British Invasion era — the melodic invention of the Beatles, the whiplash guitars of the Who, and the radiant harmonies of the Byrds — into a ramshackle but poignantly beautiful sound which recaptured the spirit of pop's past even as it pointed the way toward the music's future. Although creative tensions, haphazard distribution, and marketplace indifference conspired to ensure Big Star's brief existence and commercial failure, the group's three studio albums nevertheless remain unqualified classics, and their impact on subsequent generations of indie bands on both sides of the Atlantic is surpassed only by that of the Velvet Underground."

IMO, these are there two best albums (on one SACD!), though I know there are some big "Third/Sister Lovers" fans. Hopefully, we'll hear that one in hi-res soon, too! :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm a slight Alex Chilton fan. Least ways I get an album by him about every five years or so. It's been about 5 years since I got that little acoustic album he did, so I'm gonna get this. I proably heard them about 15 years ago when somebody played all 3 of them for me. I've never owned any Big Star albums myself but always meant to. I suppose now is the time. I'm real impressed with Mo-Fi's sonics but their prices are depressing. I'm glad this fish got away!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm a tad disappointed about the non-MFSL, considering the exceptional quality of the Aimee Mann, Isaac Hayes and Patricia Barber sacds they've done. And I'm not sure what to expect from Fantasy, mastering-wise. Just hoping for the best!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that, Lee! As Rachael points out, this'll save us all some cash (though I haven't yet regretted a single MFSL sacd purchase).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks