Big speakers or sub??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Travis-J, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Travis-J

Travis-J Agent

I want to buy some new surround speakers and a center channel, I was looking at PSB image 5T's and 9C I was wondering if I would be better off buying the 3LR and a powered sub with a 8C for a center. Would it be a waste of money to buy such big surround speakers?

2. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Travis-J. I'm unfamiliar with the speakers you've mentioned, so let me answer in generalities and maybe this'll provide some help for you. Of the three speakers -- surrounds, center, and sub -- the rear surrounds are the least taxed, the least called-upon speaker. Most HT audio emanates from the speakers up front with the rear surrounds providing sometimes nothing more than "fill-in" or ambiance. The center speaker is important but not absolutely necessary. You could set-up your receiver for a "phantom" center. But, once installed, you'll notice that many times the only sound filling your room will be that which is coming from the center speaker. (And make sure the center speaker's timbre matches your mains.) The subwoofer, however, is the one speaker that'll elicit the ooohs and ahhhs from friends. A HT set-up is not complete without a competent sub.

So to answer you question: I wouldn't put a lot of money into the surrounds, at least not yet. Put your money into the center and sub first, then re-visit the surrounds at a later date.

That's my POV. Good luck.