What's new

big screen TV repair Q (1 Viewer)

Peter Smith

Auditioning
I am looking at what appears to be a steal of a sale. A Sylvania 50" TV for $500. Looks to be a few years old but does have 2 S-video ins.

The problem is in the picture has halos around everything. It is like the blue gun is turned way up. All whites glow and the picture is cloudy. They let me pull the thing apart and I looked for dust, no. There were three plasic cans of what appears to be a fluid attached to the lenses. Only one can had fluid. I cannot imagine what this is unless it is some form of immersion oil. I also tried the basic steeings and that did not help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Sylvania is to electronics what Yugo was to cars and Bic is to pens. Under no circumstances should you pay $500 for this TV. I wouldn't give $50 for one with the picture you described.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The fluid is a cooling fluig, it is supposed to help retard temperature buildup on the faces of the CRT's. In other words, if the "cans" are empty, screen burn will occur more quickly with a given level of contrast and light output.
I don't know to what extent the focus changes with the absence of the fluid. I suspect the focus is different and perhaps they tweaked the settings to do a workaround that may or may not have introduced other problems.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread