Big Screen Mattes

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey All

I'm interested in hearing any solutions for aspect ratio mattes for front projection systems. I've made them in the past for my RPTV but this is going to obviously be much larger in scale. I'm considering two aspect ratios: 2.35:1 and 1.33:1. 1.85 is too close to my 16:9 screen to even worry about, and extreme 2.70 widescreen amounts to a whopping one title in my collection.

The idea I have in my head for 2.35 involves a matte cut to match the width of my screen frame (Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision with ProTrim, 87" wide/100" diagonal). On the top corners they would have little ears that stick slightly beyond the frame borders and hang on pins poking out from the wall. For 1.33 they would be vertical mattes cut to height with width to match AR and use a similar type of hanging system. For materials I would use 1/8" MDF either painted flat black or wrapped in Duvetyne or similar black fabric.

Other suggestions?

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've been thinking about this further and have another couple of connection options. One is to have flaps on the ends of the mattes that would connect to velcro on the sides of the screen frame. The other that seems to be a good direction would be to connect high power magnets such as these:

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/...iumMagnets.cfm

The magnets would be affixed to the mattes and in turn would "stick" to the aluminum screen frame. Nice and clean with nothing to stick on the fabric of the frame. These magnets (neodymium) are crazy strong.

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Thanks. That's a helluva rig, but too elaborate for what I have in mind. Guy did a great job.

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Greets!

You're welcome! I've used both magnets and Velcro to attach various things and prefer magnets where repetitive assembly is desired, so will use them on my masks once I get around to making them, but good luck getting them to stick to aluminum though, it's non-magnetic. [​IMG]

GM