Big Screen Event in New Jersey This Weekend!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Apruzzese, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Just wanted to alert the members that the Loew's Jersey Theatre, in downtown Jersey City, New Jersey, will be hosting the Comcast Classic Comedy Weekend this Friday-Sunday, April 5 - 7.
    Films to be screened are RAISING ARIZONA, Laurel & Hardy in WAY OUT WEST, IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, and Abbott & Costello in JACK AND THE BEANSTALK. All shows are presented in 35mm, with the Jack & the Beanstalk in Super CineColor. A special treat, the Mad World screening will be in the standard theatrical version, but presented in dye-transfer Technicolor and Panavision. They are also planning to, within the best of their ability, recreate the "Roadshow" feeling of Mad World by presenting the film with the Overture, Intermission and Exit music intact. And a few other surprises as well.
    I was privileged to attend a private screening at the theater the other night and the experience was sensational. Since I was last there in December, they've made some upgrades to the projection, including a brand-new GIANT screen. The theater itself is still undergoing renovation, so the whole experience was one of stepping back in time.
    I hope that many HTF'ers in the NY metro area find the time to attend one of these shows. See my post in "Meets" for information on a special, private tour I've arranged of the facility after the Mad World screening (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=56183)
    More information: Loew's Jersey Website

2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    See you there Saturday night for IAMMMMW Pete. I'll email you later so we can coordinate.
    Anyone that goes will not be disappointed. It's a beautiful old theater and the perfect venue to see IAMMMMW on the big screen. I can't wait.[​IMG]

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Got this e-mail from Bob over at the Loew's:

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Wow - what a weekend of classic movie-going!

I didn't make the Friday night show of RAISING ARIZONA or the Saturday matinee of WAY OUT WEST (I'm told over 450 people attended!), but the Saturday night show of IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD was spec-friggin'-tacular! Over 500 people of all ages made their way to downtown Jersey City for this comedy classic in one of the last remaining movie palaces. The presentation was terrific - the organ music faded down as Ernest Gold's overture came over the speakers - then the grand curtain parted as the film iteself started (an IB Technicolor print in very good consition). At intermission, the lights faded back up and the audience was treated to a great surprise - a recreation of the original "Radio Call" audio intermission! At the conclusion of the film, the audience gave it and the presentation a well-earned round of applause. I've been going to reissues and revivals for over 25 years and this was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a crowd at an older picture. I was able to hook up with fellow HTF'er Tino in the lobby before the show, but there were so many other people there that we didn't spot any other members. Sorry if you were in attendance and we missed you!

And then on Sunday, I again made my way down there with my 7-year-old son for the "kiddie matinee" celebrating the 50th anniversary of the premiere of Abbott and Costello's JACK AND THE BEANSTALK. Once again, over 400 people showed up for a great afternoon at the movies. After a brief presentation that included Joe Franklin and two of Lou Costello's surviving relatives, the show began. A vintage Warner Bros. cartoon was followed up by a couple of trailers - FORBIDDEN PLANET being the highlight - and an uproarious Three Stooges short (WHO DONE IT with Shemp). Then, the feature started. Again, a near-mint print was shown ("in Super CineColor!") and an all-ages crowd really enjoyed themselves.

The folks running the shows at the Loew's have really gotten their act together. There is something absolutely mesmerizing about seeing these older films in a giant movie palace. Any HTF members who are in the New Jersey/New york area must avail themselves of the opportunity to see movies in this grand setting. The upcoming double feature of A NIGHT TO REMEMBER and James Cameron's TITANIC should be awesome. And you don't want to miss the April 27 showing of FORBIDDEN PLANET in Perspecta-Sound!

Hope to see you there...

Pete

"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie..."

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Pete is absolutely right. It was a great experience seeing IAMMMMW on the big screen with a packed house. It's amazing how well Mad World has held up after all these years. The crowd absolutely LOVED it. My fiancee` and I were in hysterics as was most of the audience throughot the entire film.
    It was good meeting you Pete, but unfortunately Dana Fillhart was also there and he was looking for us too. We must have gotten our wires crossed. Too bad we missed meeting you Dana.
    I'll probably go to the A Night To Remember/Titanic double feauture next and also plan on seeing Close Encounters
    (right Dana?[​IMG]).
    I again urge anyone in the metropolitan area to check out one of these shows in this great movie palace. You won't regret it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

S'okay, Tino, we'll do better next time [​IMG]
    It sure was a fun Saturday nite -- $5 admission, $1 popcorn, $1 bottled water, $1 for 3 cookies...music, an intermission, a wonderful arena, and a GREAT movie!
    If I don't end up moving to the west coast, I am going back there as often as possible! I'm really hoping to catch CEot3K there -- it should be a fantastic experience!
    All you New York/New Jersey residents, get your rear over to the Jersey City Loews ASAP and enjoy the experience!

7. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    I grew up in Hudson County and attended nearby St. Peter's Coll. I must have walked by the Loews Jersey a thousand times. Glad they're bringing the old place back. Wish I could attend, maybe when I visit family soon. Enjoy...