Big Room question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Will Zog, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Will Zog

Will Zog Extra

To start, thanks in advance - this forum is great, and I've learned a ton in a short time!

I'm a first timer, and haven't bought yet. I'm buying sound first, and I've got a very big space - 24X24 and cathedral ceiling up to about 15'.

For the amp, the CNET reveiw and comments here have me thinking Pioneer's D912K, although I can be convinced otherwise. Saw a good review on an HK speaker package (HKTS12), too, but no reaction here to it.

So what should I be thinking for speakers? I know there are a lot of JBL fans here, and I figure I need everyting -existing stereo speakers will travel with the sound system elsewhere in the house. I would like to keep the speaker package down around $500-750 if possible.

TO our hosts, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Thanks for the help!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hey there, Will: Since you mentioned it, yes, the Basics area is not the place for this post. It's intended for general discussion at the beginner level. For specific recommendations about speakers, post here in the Speakers/Subwoofers area.

Thanks for joining HTF. Best of luck.

3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

You have the space to accommodate the large panel Magnepan speakers. A lot of people listen to them, love the way they sound, but bemoan the fact that their space doesn't allow them to be properly set up away from the walls (but truth be known, most speakers benefit from being spaced away from the walls unless specifically designed to leverage off the room boundaries). However, you are blessed with a relatively large area that would let them "sing".

Magnepan has a model in your price range that is available direct from the factory (see "The Offer We Hope You Can't Resist"). If you are planning to use your budget for surrounds, their MGMC1 wall mounted speakers are in the price range you've stated and sound superb.

For more information, check out Magnepan Speakers While you would be well advised to audition a variety of speakers using musical material you are already familiar with, you owe it to yourself to check out the Maggies before you buy anything.

Good luck, and enjoy!

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"I would like to keep the speaker package down around $500-750 if possible."

Sorry Bruke but that would make his total about $1500 + a sub.

[​IMG]

I'd really worry about smaller speakers filling the space. You could lok at Energy Take 5.2, Athena .5 + a sub, some people also look at Axiom and Ascend Acoustics.

If you were looking for a pair of speakers I sure would look at the Magnepans.

Darn, I just bought some in the same price range and didn't know about this deal.

Brent

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

Go to Fluance.com and look at the SV-10 speakers.
    http://www.ecoustics.com/r.php?search=Fluance
    People rate those speakers very highly. You'll get excellent value for your money.
    You'll probably need a good 12" sub to fill that area.

6. Will Zog

Will Zog Extra

Thanks for the ideas. I agree about the big sub, which is part of what caught my attention about the HK package.

Was wandering through Circuit City today, and the salesperson was telling me I "had" to have floor standing speakers for my space, that bookshelves would get lost. My initial reaction is this is more sales pitch...other opinions? CC was pushing Infinity and Polk, which certainly are good names...though I'll lose my budget in a hurry...

7. Will Zog

Will Zog Extra

Also, Burke, thanks for the idea on the Maggies, but I've got little kids in the house, and we'd have holes in those speakers before they were out of the box!

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

Onecall.com has a clearance on their JBL S series. You can get a pair of S38II for $232, a pair of S26 MarkII for $140, an S center for $153 and a referb Phase Technology 12" Sub for $300. That's a very good sound system close to your budget.