Big problem with PT53WX42... suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Pounds, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Well, after 4 months of perfect operation, my Panny PT53WX42 has a major problem.

All of a sudden, everything has a blue tint to it... it's happening across all inputs, so I know it's none of my source devices.

It's somewhat noticiable in normal viewing and VERY noticeable when the screen is dark or black... screens that should be all black are basically blue.

It's as if one of two things are happening -- either the blue gun is working at twice the intenseity, or the red gun is working at half the intensity.

Obviously, it's still under warrantly and I've got a call into my local Ultimate Electonics service department and they are supposed to come and check it on Wednesday... has anyone else heard of this problem?

Could this be an indication of bigger problems down the road? Should I insist on getting a replacement versus getting mine repaired?

The guy on the phone said they might go in and try some adjustments, but I don't just want them making service menu adjustments for what seems like some sort of mechanical problem, do I?

Oh and before anyone asks, I have NOT messed with any of the mechanical or service menu tweaks... so I know I didn't cause this problem myself! [​IMG]

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Might be the "evil pop" that afflicts some Panny RPTVs--seemed more common w/ older models than the current ones. Did you hear a pop before getting this blue shift in color? Did you try checking w/ a grey (and/or white) pattern to see if you get uniform bluish tint?

If yes, then it probably was the "evil pop", and you need to have the greyscale fixed. If you're good at tweaking, you can probably fix it yourself. Check the tweak/fix for "evil pop" on the www.panny.tv site. But be warned that you need to know/understand what exactly you're doing or you'll likely mess up the greyscale even more.

_Man_

3. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

I didn't notice the "evil pop"... I don't recall EXACTLY when it became blue... I just noticed it Friday night for the first time...

It must have happened during the day some time on Friday, but I didn't ever notice a specific pop.

I'll just let the service guy handle it since it's still under warranty.

Once the greyscale is fixed, should I be OK, or is this an indication that I may just have an overall bad unit?

The reason I ask is that if I feel like things are going to go wrong with this specific unit every couple of months, I'll demand a replacement unit.