Big Problem with my Sub! :(

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KyleC, Apr 7, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I was watching The Matrix: Reloaded tonight, and I noticed something bad. I think my subwoofer has blown. During scenes with heavy bass I noticed it was sort of distorted. I can't really describe it but I think I know what a blown speaker sounds like. My fiancee bought me a HTiB last christmas. It's the good Sony that is 600w total. The HTiB is under ext Best Buy warranty. I have some questions:

1) How do I know for sure if it's blown?
    2) I keep the sub vol at around 1/2 way and have always had it that way since I got it. How could it have blown?
    3) Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

The main thing is that if it is blown, I'm not sure what to do. Sony doesn't make this model anymore, and the comparable model now only has a 75w sub and mine is 100w. So I don't want to get something less than I already have in return. Please advise.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm not really sure what to say other than "sorry." That doesn't sound too good. As to your question about how it could happen with the volume only 1/2 way up it could be that they don't have a good low filter on it, so scenes that have sub-sonic bass could bottom-out the speaker and possibly damage it. Also, your sub may not be blown at all . . . it may have only distorted because of the sub-sonic bass that it's not meant to handle.

Hopefully someone will come by who can help you out more.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

If the sub is still under warranty I would try to get it repaired. It seems to me, however, that you need a more powerful sub for your listening preferences/room acoustics. So just having it fixed or replaced will not be a permanent solution unless you are willing to use it at a lower volume.

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

If you have the budget... you could get the tiny mighty II from parts express. Its usually running about $100.

5. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I came home today and popped in T3 and Episode 2. I didn't hear the problem this time. I even got down and put my ear near the sub. I felt alot of air (especially during the final Lightsaber battle) but that's normal. I didn't seem to hear the distortion I heard last night. So was Reloaded putting out too much bass? Would there be a reason it does it on that movie but no others?

6. RayM

RayM Agent

My brother has the Sony-WM40 8" and I had to turn that thing way down all the time. Any frequencies below 30-35hz (I'm guessing) would make it distort badly. Just not a capable sub.

7. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I agree. Im running a Sony 75 watt in the back and the Dayton Tiny Mighty II in the front. I saw Matrix Revolutions last night, and while the Sony had major distortion, the Dayton ran smooth as silk.

So its most likely that the Sony cant handle low bass (or too much bass, I dunno). I almost certainly recommend the Tiny Mighty.

8. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

It's just odd that this is the first movie I've ever experienced the low bass problem with. I'm not expecting my sub to be perfect, I know it's a cheaper product. Although Matrix sequels aside this sub has really been performing great since I got it.

If I have the money, I might look into that Tiny Might sub. Would it perform well on the Sony receiver from my HTiB?

9. David Galindo

I have a Sony reciever as well- its certainly not top of the line (got it at Wal-Mart 2 years ago) but the Tiny Mighty works awesomely well with it!

10. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Do you have a link for this sub?

11. David Galindo

12. BillGallagher

How does the Tiny Mighty compare to the Polk PSW404?

I'm looking for a good sub for a small (12' x 14') room and I never heard of the Tiny Mighty until I joined HTF. Both of the "big stores" I visited recommended the PSW404.

13. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

All this talk about subs has me thinking of upgrading sometime soon maybe. Maybe at the end of the summer, I'll be able to get one. Any impressions on this sub:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hCn7tq8...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Also, would upgrading my default subwoofer cable help my current situation a little?

14. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

No

15. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Good call [​IMG]