BIG PROBLEM WITH MY DUNLAVY'S!!! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok heres the thing.... I was stupid and ended up using my dunlavys with low end equipment. I ended up blowing a mid driver. On my front left speaker the bottom 6.5" is blown. So I had my wife take them in to work... someone looked at it for me but my wife got yelled at about it. So apprently they are not going to do anything for me. This sux!

So here is my dilemma! I can get the proper driver to put in there... but I know if I do it wont sound the same! So Im kinda depressed right now. Im just not sure what to do. I just need some opinions. Im thinking I may sell them to fund SC-3's or 4's. Or maybe keep them and use them as rears. Or am I just overreacting?????

Well thanks for the help again.

2. John S

John S Producer

Replace the same driver(s) in both of your 2 fronts. Keep any unblown drivers you replace as spares and call it good.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

If you can get the correct driver call stereo shops and ask who they recommend for speaker repair and have them do the install. I like John's idea of doing it on both speakers and thereby end up with a spare.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What John S said, with one exception. I believe these guys were MTMs, so I'd replace both mid-bass drivers in the one speaker. If it doesn't sound the same as the other speaker, well, you will likely end up replacing those drivers as well...which unfortunately could mean a lot of spare drivers.

Didn't we talk about this before? Go get yourself an AMP! [​IMG]

5. Jesse Sharrow

Well its the exact same model driver as whats in there. So Im just gonna replace the one. If it sounds terrible I will just use them as rears later on.

Now another question on this is should I worry about break in?

6. John Garcia

John
    Within a run of drivers there can be variances, but you'll probably be OK to at least start by replacing just the one driver. I doubt it will sound terrible, and there's the possibility that you won't be able to tell the difference.

Yes, the new driver will break in some, but it should happen in a relatively short amount of time during normal us. No need to worry.

7. Jesse Sharrow

Acctually I should have phrased that differently.

Should I worry about making sure that the speakers themselves break in properly? Is that maybe part of my problem or is it just my amp?

8. John Garcia

John
    Break-in occurred within the first week of use. What are you driving them with currently? My guess would be the amp, but I would have expected a tweeter to go first.

9. John S

John S Producer

I'm voting amp as well....

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You are over-reacting. Replace the driver and enjoy the movie.

11. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, have you been driving these speakers hard or overly loud? Had you noticed any distortion when playing the speakers prior to the driver going bye bye? Regardless, sometimes parts just fail, no fault of wattage or anything else. You should not stress about it. Many people replace drivers with good success. Now I'll pile on. GET AN AMP!! I just got my first separate amp and it has improved my sound by a good amount. I'm happy with the move to separates.

12. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I've had some experience with 4s driven by McIntosh, 200wpc. Best stereo system I've ever heard. But I refuse to believe that running Dunlavys with low-end (your description) equipment is the reason, in and of itself, that your driver failed. Any amplifier, low-end or state-of-the-art, will, when pushed hard enough, most assuredly clip and eat a driver or two. Unless you're careless you will hear the distortion in time to avoid catastrophe. Just don't believe the mass-market receiver power descriptions. And there's no such thing as too much power - ever. And regarding the fix - don't make so much ado until you hear it.

13. Jesse Sharrow

Yeah I agree with everyone. Well I have decided to replace the driver, on order, and use them for a seperate 2 channel system. Please refer to my post in amps/reciever/preamps section and post on there. Thank you.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

John Dunlavy was a stickler when it came to designing his speakers and had certain design goals in mind such as an especially tight frequency response. Recognizing that even within a particular lot# of drivers that there would be inter-driver response differences, he would measure each and every driver to obtain relevant data. These drivers were then sorted into families with near identical behavior. The crossover designs (1st order) were then 'nudged' to ensure that each family of drivers would behave in a consistent manner. This is in stark contrast to virtually every speaker made today, or back then for that matter, where the manufacturer shoots for the norm. The speakers, once assembled, were then tested again and I believe he used to provide a sheet that illustrated that the speaker you bought met and or exceeded his design goals.

Dunlavy kept records on all the speakers that were sold in part so that if anyone ever needed to replace a driver, they could provide him the serial number so that a driver from the appropriate family could be provided, therebye ensuring that the repaired speaker would be indistinguishable from the original and still maintain its tight tolerances.

Therefore, unless you can get a driver from the same family, then your repaired speaker will likely differ a bit with respect to say the overall frequency response. I'm sure this sounds like you're screwed unless you follow this route, however, IMO the variances in FR, even if enlarged, are still going to be fairly tight and inaudible.

As far as breakin goes, for the speaker that's accomplished in just a few strokes of the piston. Dunlavy was of the same thinking in regards to this.

I do think that you're overreacting Jesse and I'd just proceed with the driver replacement, attempting to get one from the same family if possible, and if not, recognizing that the differences are to a large extent inconsequential. Like I said, Dunlavy felt if people were going to buy a top end speaker, then it was incumbant upon the manufacturer to go to some lengths to ensure tight specs and that required cusomization.

15. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chu

Most of your post is just what they call "too much information". After all, (as you know from his original post!) his wife got the speakers from the Dunlay leftovers! Her company owned what remained of Dunlay speakers, incuding raw drivers. And his wife already got yelled at for trying to bring the damaged speaker back for a new driver. How on earth is he going to find a driver from the same family? Since you brought it up, why don't you help him find a driver from the same family? What started out as a sort of lark for the guy has turned into an anxiety provoking money pit with no end in sight.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I've already done my charitable deed for the day. Lighten up Art. It's got to be hot in PA too!

17. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chu

Before I lighten up: do you think his wife should ask someone at her job about the data base/paper trail, or just poke around to see if she can find the info, then try to go into the warehouse and look for it if she can find out without getting yelled at again?

18. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Art, what's up your rear, dude?

19. Jesse Sharrow

Qoute from my wife

"we arent even supposed to bring them back in"

Its done. Im not worried. I already ordered a driver... that is the same model, from partsexpress. So I figure there isnt much I can do about it.

Honestly, worst case they sound like crap and I try to sell them. They cant sound any worse than they did with a blown driver. Im thinking a new one should be just fine.

Also, I started to notice the distortion when I first got them. It was slight but it was there.

20. Jesse Sharrow

BTW

"What started out as a sort of lark for the guy has turned into an anxiety provoking money pit with no end in sight."

-Arthur S.

Thats awsome. I love it. Put a smile on my face.