What's new

Big Phat Band does it again on DVD-A :-) (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I got a copy of Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band's new disc, XXL Wednesday of last week and am finally getting around to making a few comments.

Buy this disc. Buy this disc. Buy this disc. :D

Ok seriously now, we tend to rag on Silverline for a lot of releases that are lacking in sound quality. I've said more than once they also have a few gems from time to time. IMO, this is Silverline's finest release to date with tremendous musicians, skillfully performed arrangements, reference grade sonics and some performances that will knock the socks off of most music fans.

Several tracks have guests, including Michael Brecker taking a great tenor solo, Take 6 on a few tracks, Brian McKnight, and a favorite of mine, clarinetist/saxophonist Eddie Daniels.

The dynamic range is wide, and the presentation is expansive as all get out.

One caveat, if you don't like immersive mixes, you probably won't enjoy this disc. It's extremely agressive, including front/back imaging of the band.

Enjoy this one folks, IMO it's great.

Regards,

Michael_T

Second Unit
I have been looking for this one..as I have the first Big Phat Band release on DVD-A.

As much as I maligned Silverline for 99% of their DVD-A releases, the original Big Phat Band was one of the few exceptions. I am sure this is one of the Silverline releases that is worth picking up.

Thanks.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Just teed up an Amazon order...can't wait.

Thanks for the review John. FWIW, given the 1st disc's high quality, I was not expecting anything less. It appears that they have delivered in spades.

BGL

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

This is better by a fair margin :)

Chalk it up to experience and better mastering equipment :D

Regards,

Joe Solek

Agent
John, I agree. This is a fantastic disc. It just bugs me to no end that why can't all Silverline discs sound like this, damn it!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

I would say that a large portion of the equation is the master tapes they're working with.

How good can the master tapes be for the "Front Row Live" series?

Oh well, just my thoughts.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

It shows as having a stereo track, and my 598/861v4 shows it as 24bit/48k. It's recognized as stereo, as Trifield is being applied however I get no audio output. I'm sending an e-mail off to my tech contact at Meridian to have them check the title out.

It's new, recorded in 2003.

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the thoughts on this disc John. I will be looking for it on my next trip to the store. Hopefully the Best Buy near me gets some in soon, as they did not have XXL in stock last week.

J

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I'm glad that you mentioned this one John. I was getting ready to write something about it after my first listen. I seriously hope that anyone wanting a great quality DVD-A with a very aggressive and creative mix will go out and buy this one. Even if Big Band is not your cup of tea, you can't help but dig this disc for pure musicality. It's lots of fun and has become my favorite Silverline release.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Not much to add other than he fact that this is perhaps the best sounding disc I have ever heard in my system. Swinging For the Fences was the previous title holder.

The bass/drums on this puppy are incredibly well done, as is pretty much everything else on there. Your sub will have lots to do with this recording.

I am a devote of 5.1 music, and consider this a state of the art rendering.

The only negative for me is that I am not too crazy about the tracks with vocals. Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just prefer my big band stuff to be instrumental.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks