Big News: The Future of Firefly

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry Woodward, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward Second Unit

According to Hercules from Aint It Cool News, Fox has ordered production on two more episodes. His source believes Fox plans to do the full season since after the two they ordered are made there will be only seven more left. Although nothing has been made official as of this posting this really give us Fireflynatics some hope.
    Source:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13848

2. Michael St. Clair

Hopefully those two episodes aren't a 'wrap-up' to give the show some sense of closure.

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well if they wanted to start going for closure:

They could have let Mal space Jayne on last Friday's episode!

4. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

I think the problem holding Firefly back is the overt western theme. They may have already irrevocably lost the audience they were gunning for, even if they retool the show.

What I feel they should do is keep the western *attitudes* and mannerisms (the drawls, the slangs, the "looking for a job" part, the guns, etc...), but dial up the SF feel. There needs to be more technology, and less "old-tech" western stuff. The holographic pool balls in the one ep were just the ticket, while seeing Jayne and the captain playing horseshoes in another episode were *NOT*.

Who really believes they'd keep horseshoes on a spaceship? Heck, my hick relatives don't even play that game.

Western in space doesn't mean horses and chaps, it means acting like a cowboy while using a ray gun (etc...)

Hope Fox pulls it together on Firefly. Is the best SF show I've seen on TV since Season One of Farscape.

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

The last episode dialed up the tech pretty considerably. Perhaps had the episodes been played in order, there would have been a better mix of old and new.

That said, I know some of the low tech didn't work for me, particularly the train in the first aired episode and that threw me off the show for awhile.

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yeah, like that rod that makes the blood vessels in people's heads burst and they bleed to death.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Exactly, they made it very clear early on that the farther out a world is, the more primative it is.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

(cue cheesy space music)

Space...the final frontier. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Don't you mean:
    Space...the final frontier (cue "Bonanza" theme). [​IMG]

11. Todd Terwilliger

I agree about the outer worlds but at the same time, you can argue that the baseline of technology would have risen up past some of those things. Either way, some of the low tech worked for me, some of it didn't. Obviously, miliege will vary on that with each individual viewer.

12. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

14. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    David Rogers wrote:
    It doesn't annoy them, and mainstream audiences---including, it seems, most HTF posters---show indifference one way or the other in the overwhelming number of cases.
    I "feel your pain", but I don't see much change anywhere in the near future, if ever. "Science fiction" is a "niche" literature for people who like to think, especially about unusual things. I don't think most people are like that, not even about their literature or their choice of electronic entertainment. And reliving the familiar seems to be what Hollywood lives on. Totally!

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While I enjoyed reading your articulate post as always, I disagree with you on one fundimental point. It's not that the population doesn't care that they're getting "neither fish nor fowl." We enjoy that bastard fish-fowl for the quality product it is. Genres are restrictive. Some people (myself included) like to see what manages to break that barrier.

The bottom line, of course, is that the audience finds it to be a quality product. A bad sci-western wouldn't last without the viewers (not including the less literal of the genre, like Enterprise on UPN.)

16. Todd Terwilliger

17. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I just read an article which explains that for various reasons the networks are more willing to hang on to shows that in previous years they would have quickly jettisoned. There have been a few shows that have been unceremoniously dumped (Push Nevada, anyone?) but not as many as at this time last year. One reason is that the networks have fewer replacement shows waiting in the wings. Another is the networks want to create the perception that a show is succeeding, to hype it up in hopes that the public will buy into it and actually make the show successful, so they try to create buzz by ordering a few more episodes or even committing to a full season. And another is that the networks might think the show really is a good show and/or will get better and find an audience based on what they've seen of future episodes. And yet one more reason is that the networks might be lowering their expectations and resigning themselves to lower ratings in the fragmented multichannel TV market.

Not that I'm saying I think Firefly should be cancelled. I haven't even seen the show, nor many other network shows. But it was one of several shows mentioned as examples in the article.

18. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Actually, FWIW, I think that Firefly's problem in finding an audience is, at least in part, that it's both a dessert topping and a floorwax. Not because combining genres is bad -- it can be good -- but because the two genres in question, the sci-fi and westerns, haven't succeeded, in a big way at least, lately on prime-time television. I raised this point in an earlier thread but it bears repeating: I can't name a spaceship-based science fiction show not named Star Trek that got decent ratings, at least not in the last two decades. (And I'm not even sure about Star Trek.) It's a niche genre with a loyal fan base. If anything, westerns are even less popular. The ship might as well be called the "Esoteric."

Firefly really belongs on UPN or the WB where the ratings expectations are lower. I know that sounds like damning by faint praise but it's not. It's a good show and it's getting better. But it's natural audience will probably never be as big as Fox wants. It's like taking your favorite "we don't care about mass audience tastes" indie band and consigning them to a deal with a major label. It's a bad fit.

19. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    As Birds of Prey was cancelled after placing 107th out of 118 this week, and Firefly placed 101st, I don't think it will last the season. Especially since it's probably quite expensive to produce. It would be interesting to see the entire list of 118 to see how Buffy and Angel are doing.

20. Todd Terwilliger

I don't think it's fair to compare Buffy and Angel to Firefly because those programs have had a few seasons or more under their belts to develop a following.