What's new

Big News from Classic Records (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,

We had another interesting Atlanta Audio Society meeting yesterday with Michael Hobson, head of Classic Records, a prominent audiophile and classic album reissuer.

First, we were treated to a demonstration of various vinyl on a system at Audio Alternative (Indian Trail in Lilburn for you Georgia locals) which consisted of:

Meadowlark Osprey speakers
VTL 7.5 flagship preamplifier
VTL mono tube amps
VTL tube phono stage
Pioneer AX-10 Universal player
VPI Aries/JMW 12/Dynavector XX2 turntable rig
JPS cabling throughout

Mike played something really amazing - his new 200 gram "flat profile" vinyl. The flat profile refers to a perfectly flat record versus the slight concavity of regular records. I was very surprised how this new Quiex SVP vinyl sounded versus previous 180 gram audiophile pressings. The grooves are not distorted in a perfectly flat record so more detail and dynamics gets out.

Some records spun included "Witche's Brew" - classical demo and audiophile fave, Roy Orbison "Only the Lonely", Cannonbal Adderley "Something Else", and Carlos Santana "The Game of Love" - all superb but the final selection really got me - the Fritz Reiner "Scheherazade".

Second, Mike auditioned a test pressing of his new DVDAudio discs - Song of the Auveirgne (sic?) from Vanguard and it sounded very good as well. I plan to keep a close eye out for his DVDAs which should be out in 4-5 weeks.

I suggest if you are a vinyl or DVD Audio fan that you keep an eye out for these releases.

:)

See their website by following link:

http://www.classicrecs.com/

:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've got 4 Classic DADs and they sound fantastic! I would expect CLassic DVD-A discs and records to be really fantastic. Sam Phillips is one of my favorites and the Classic DADs are stunning.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Of course all of this was announced at a press conference at CES as well.

Still, good to see Michael getting some publicity.

Regards,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that, while digital's latest attempts (SACD and DVD-A) are fun and all, I find talk of a new vinyl formulation/process in the year 2003 truly wonderful and inspiring...there is hope. :) And there are Zep remasters in the pipe for it? :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnryan50189
Recent bookmarks