What's new

BIG NEWS: EA develops real-time DTS API for the PS2! (1 Viewer)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
A no-brainer purchase. I'll put my wallet on "Automatic" and walk into Babbages.....
Michael
wink.gif

Dan B

Screenwriter
This is cool. I wonder just how much compression they'll be using, and how it will sound? Nintendo loses out because of the lack of a digital audio connection, unfortunately.
-Dan
P.S. Morgan, DTS is 5.1!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, duh on me.
EA has been publishing a lot of SquareSoft games, maybe they can delay FFX by a month and implement 5.1 into it.
And people said it couldn't be done on the PS2.
I heard that the GCN can do 5.1 (I don't know how they would have it go out) but it has to be done on the software, which is why they don't have an output for it. Thats what I heard, and that was a long time ago, so I'm not sure if thats still true.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
This is cool to see. EA does a lot of things wrong in their games, but they can do a lot of things better than anyone else.
------------------

Andre F

Screenwriter
Wow, here's to Knockout Kings 2002 in DTS!
biggrin.gif

------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I said they should add a month so they could spend the time from now until its release on adding the 5.1 and doing the localization. I hope that a LOT of future PS2 games have 5.1, cuz the only game that I have that uses it (in FMV) is The Bouncer.

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little confused on whether or not future games will use Dolby Digital as well as DTS, and what the difference will be....
Those of you with surround systems will want to crank them up since the game supports Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. It should really put you right into the middle of the action. The developers even took it one step further and will also be including true on-the-fly DTS mixing for both audio and sound effects.
Obviously, the big difference between DD and DTS is that DTS has a higher bitrate, but will it matter when used in games?
As an owner of a DD-only reciever, i'm a little disappointed that EA chose DTS over DD, a format that is practically standard for films on DVD. This isn't a DD vs DTS debate, I love DTS, but I don't want to have to buy a new reciever to get 5.1 in PS2 games.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
a format that is practically standard for films on DVD
Actually it IS the standard. All DVDs MUST have either a Dolby Digital source or PCM (2 channel digital, uncompressed like CDs).
DTS is the option and is simply a different encoding scheme that some, but not all, believe delivers better bang per bit. However, there is also a debate over that considering DTS allows for many different bit rates itself.
Still, this is cool news that they are working on the APIs to get this stuff done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks