BIG Mystery surrounding release of Disney's "The Rescuers" & "The Love Bug"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnDoe, May 20, 2003.

1. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Auditioning

Hey Guys,

There is a very BIG mystery surrounding the release of "The Rescuers" and "The Love Bug" by Buena Vista Home Entertainment. Today, May 20th, is SUPPOSEDLY the street date for both DVDs by Disney. However, NO retailer has either DVD, and this has absolutely nothing to do with them being catalogue titles, instead of major releases.

I placed calls to 5 major retailers (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Suncoast, Circuit City) in 6 major cities (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, and Seattle). I also called Sam's Club, and Costco is several of those same cities, as well as Amazon.com. Not only do any of the retailers not have either DVD, but NONE of them have any information in their system about those titles ever scheduled for release. I was even able to contact 2 of the vendors for some of those same major retailers, and even they knew NOTHING about the street date for either title. After speaking with an Upper Level Executive at Buena Vista Today, I got the distinct impression that I was deliberately being given the runaround, with him saying that today was indeed the release date, and that every major retailer has them in stock. When I replied that NO major retailer had them in stock, and that even Amazon.com had no stock of either title in any of their 5 major distribution centers, he said that he would "check into it", and get back to me today. Needless to say, he never did. An Amazon.com supervisor I spoke to, even said that it was "very unusual" for them to not have stock of a major release on its street date. What they have posted on their website for those titles is a "usually ships within 3-4 days" estimate. But he admitted to me that they only use that 3-4 day shipping estimate, when they don't have any stock at any of their centers.

Now, Amazon.com, as well as Target and Best Buy as well as a few other major retailers always stock/supply every release (including catalogue titles), so those 2 titles not being "major releases" has nothing to to with it. Also, even if there were indeed some delay with distribution, those same major retailers would still have information in their systems about those titles, with updated street date information, but mysteriously, none of them have that either.

Even the DisneyDVD.com website, which has its own 2003 release schedule sub-site, has no listing for either title.

What is up with this???!!! [​IMG]

-John

2. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

DVDSoon.com sent me an e-mail on May 16 saying that both 20,000 and Love Bug had shipped to me.

Jimmy!

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Are you questioning whether these DVDs exist at all?

4. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Auditioning

Oh, I am sure they exist, since I have seen the cover art everywhere. The question is, why aren't they on any major retailer's shelves for consumers to buy????

-John

5. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

It is because, in fact, you first have to buy all seven season sets of the X-Files so that Mulder and Scully will personally look into it for you. [​IMG]

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Has anyone been able to purchase these discs???

[​IMG]

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

All I can say is that they exist. Review copies of both titles--actually final street product, not screeners--arrived two weeks ago in the same package. I watched The Love Bug last weekend with my daughter. (It has not aged well--the story; the disc looks great.)

8. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

John,

Thanks for posting this. When I couldn't find either of these titles on any shelves up here, I thought they had been delayed in Canada. This happens with many titles that Alliance Atlantis distributes, but I had never seen it on a Disney title before. Glad to know it's not just us.

9. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Auditioning

Randy, as you just said yourself, you received a "Review Product". You didn't buy it in the store today, because there aren't any in any stores ANYWHERE. The question, again, is, that why don't any retailers have these 2 discs???

Despite the fact that many of us here buy discs online, the majority of consumers buy product the old fashioned way, in the STORE. My source at Buena Vista Home Entertainment, despite being tight-lipped, did mumble something that "there may have been some production problems with those 2 discs a few weeks ago". Perhaps (this is just conjecture), Disney recalled all of those first defective discs because of a problem just recently discovered, and they are having difficulty getting the improved/corrected product to distributors in time for today's release date. As I said though, I am only guessing about what's up with these 2 titles. And as far as other internet dvd stores having the product in stock, after speaking with a few of them today, they said that they list these 2 titles as "in stock" because they assume that since the street date is today, that they will have no difficulty getting copies from their vendor. However, the vendors I spoke to today, said that they didn't have any product, despite getting orders from some dvd online store websites for them.

So, until anyone actually can find either of these 2 titles, physically in a store to buy, or until anyone gets their copies which have been purchased online (which I seriously
    doubt), then this will remain an unsolved mystery.

I will however, keep digging.

-John

10. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

I can confirm that I have received my copy of The Rescuers. No insert, but the DVD is there.

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Maybe Disney's delaying them so that they can release them on their new "48hr destructo disc" format. [​IMG]

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Already being talked about in Software here and throughout various parts of my Weekly Roundup thread in the Bargains & Coupons section.

In summary:

Both DVDEmpire and DVDPlanet each show that both Rescuers and Love Bug are in-stock and ready to ship.

Noone in my city had these titles in-stock today, however. I tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Disney Store, even CompUSA.

No luck. [​IMG] I imagine they are merely slow-freighting them in. LukeB (UltimateDisney.com) says over in the Roundup thread that Disney solicitated these later than normal, and so retailers didn't have time to react. [​IMG]

Calls to 1-800-72-Disney (their cust. svc. line) result in being told that these DID in fact street today.

To me, it's just a matter of waiting for these to show up on shelves.

14. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Received mine from DVD Empire in the mail yesterday.

Ted

15. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Another site sez DVDPlanet's store has 'em in stock but I went to Fry's, no to "Rescuers and Love Bug". [​IMG]

16. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

After striking out at all the local brick and mortar stores yesterday, I ordered The Love Bug from DVDEmpire.com. They shipped it in less than an hour and I should hopefully have it in my hands within a couple of days.

There is definitely something strange about the way Disney has handled this release, though.

17. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Boston-MetroWest area is also lacking.
    However, tons of copies of 20,000 Leagues can be found easily.

18. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Did your daughter enjoy it? I'm looking for a birthday gift for a six year old girl, and I loved Herbie Rides Again when I saw it as a kid. (But I was a boy then.)

Do the kids these days like The Love Bug?

19. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

20. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

The Love Bug is definitely a product of its time, but it still entertains. [​IMG] I loved every second of it, but then again I've been a slobbering fan since as long as I can remember!

And the DVD is absolutely fantastic. If you're a Herbie fan, you won't be disappointed. Great stuff.